Having trouble deleting files from locally mounted share

vsvsvs

Re: Having trouble deleting files from locally mounted share

Postby vsvsvs » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:21 pm

ok, greyhole.conf does actually exist

http://paste.ubuntu.com/1363693/

Anyhow, yea I am trying to delete from /mnt/samba/sharename, I thought that was the correct way...when I add files to these folders greyhole seems to know how to manage them no problem...My HDA also acts as a media computer in my living room so I want to be able to manage the files from there as well as remotely.

I was under the impression that deleting files directly from var/hda/files/sharename would mess up greyhole?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:20 pm

Cool. Do not use the /mnt folder for messing with files. You should do it via the actual share. The whole point of the mount_shares_locally is to run the files locally through Samba so adding, updating, and deleting files can be done safely in the shares.

You should only access shares via their original path, then Greyhole will adjust since they are mounted locally as such. Make sense?

Read the "Important Warning" section in the Greyhole wiki guidance:

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Greyhole

It tells you to use the normal /var/hda/files/sharename.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

wvdlee

Postby wvdlee » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:39 pm

Cool. Do not use the /mnt folder for messing with files. You should do it via the actual share. The whole point of the mount_shares_locally is to run the files locally through Samba so adding, updating, and deleting files can be done safely in the shares.

You should only access shares via their original path, then Greyhole will adjust since they are mounted locally as such. Make sense?

Read the "Important Warning" section in the Greyhole wiki guidance:

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Greyhole

It tells you to use the normal /var/hda/files/sharename.
Now I am getting confused.

greyhole wiki:
" You should never change or delete files in the shared directories (/var/hda/files/* by default) directly on the HDA, using the terminal, or the Gnome file browser, for the shares for which you checked the Uses pool option in the Amahi dashboard. If you want to work with files on Greyhole shares on the HDA, you should Mount Shares Locally."

so I concluded that I should not use var/hada/files/* and I installed the mount shares Locally script and since then use /mnt/samba/* to work with files directly on the HDA.
I even changed the path of Ajaxplorer to mnt/smaba/* because of this.

But now I see this thread and the wiki about mount shares locally now says:
" You will find the mounted shares in /mnt/samba/*
For example, your "Pictures" share would be located at /mnt/samba/Pictures. When working with files on the HDA, access them via the share, i.e. /var/hda/files/share. "

In the wiki history I see this line was only added 2 days ago!

Can someone please explain where to go when I want to work with files directly on the HDA? and also explain the " what and why of ' mount shares locally' for dummies"

Did I mess things up by working in /mnt/samba/* ??

vsvsvs

Postby vsvsvs » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:57 pm

I second this...also confused!

If I look in /var/hda/files I find symlinks to all the files, which have been split amongst the two greyhole enabled shares. This seems like how things should be, and is what happened when I added files to /mnt/samba/*share*

Currently when I need to delete a file I delete it from the /mnt/samba/*share* folder either by switching to my admin account or from the terminal and it seems to work correctly (moving the file to the greyhole trash share).

If this is all wrong, what is the real use case for locally mounted shares? (that is to say, when and how do I use /mnt/samba/*share* )

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:29 pm

The reason for the mount_shares_locally is to run them through Samba when working on the HDA. So deleting files from /var/hda/files/share should result in the file be removed from Greyhole drives.

That is the way it was explained to me and how I have done it with no issues. Maybe I am wrong or just got lucky and never had issues, but I tend to not work locally on the HDA much.

Maybe you should ask in the Greyhole topic area. That is the area the author of Greyhole monitors. Also have you checked the Greyhole website? There might be an explanation there as well.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ribbles

Postby ribbles » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:23 pm

The reason for the mount_shares_locally is to run them through Samba when working on the HDA. So deleting files from /var/hda/files/share should result in the file be removed from Greyhole drives.

That is the way it was explained to me and how I have done it with no issues. Maybe I am wrong or just got lucky and never had issues, but I tend to not work locally on the HDA much.

Maybe you should ask in the Greyhole topic area. That is the area the author of Greyhole monitors. Also have you checked the Greyhole website? There might be an explanation there as well.

You should always add/delete greyholed files through the local samba mount. (/mnt/samba/)

If you DELETE a file directly in the share directory, you are just removing the symlink, but the actual file is still taking up space in the pool as well as leaving a dangling metadata file that will not be cleared up until the next fsck.

If you ADD a file directly to the share directory, that file will sit there and not be copied into the pool until the next fsck. Now, this won't BREAK anything, but in the off chance your LZ drive breaks and the file wasn't copied into the pool yet, you could potentially lose the file.

Whoever changed it to "When working with files on the HDA, access them via the share, i.e. /var/hda/files/share. " is wrong.

To the OP: sounds like you enabled the greyhole trash feature, but did not create a greyhole trash share directory.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:49 pm

Yes initially it was wrong, but was corrected in the wiki. The confusion should now be eliminated.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager