Sharing via NFS in addition to SMB?

techlife

Sharing via NFS in addition to SMB?

Postby techlife » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:29 pm

It was suggested that I re-post this here so...

I use my Amahi server (F12) almost exclusively for backing up my music and movies and making them available around the house using XBMC on various appliances. From what I have read in the XBMC forums, NFS is much preferred to SMB for streaming as it supposedly eliminates buffering, lag, etc. Is there any reason why I couldn't setup NFS and access my greyhole shares that way in addition to SMB? Is there any danger to greyhole?

spcano01

Re: Sharing via NFS in addition to SMB?

Postby spcano01 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:10 am

Would love to know also! I have ~6TB of shows/movies/home movies that I share between 5 Boxee Boxes. I am a total Linux newbie!

hemminger

Postby hemminger » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:00 pm

I believe NFS should be fine as long as they are using different ports to share files on. Windows doesn't play very nice with NFS but linux is easy to setup NFS server and clients.

PatrickDickey

Postby PatrickDickey » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:09 pm

Are there any instructions on setting up the nfs server in Amahi, or is it just as simple as

yum install nfs-utils
edit /etc/exports adding the directories (I'm guessing it would be /var/hda/files/foldername) and the IP Addresses allowed to access them
edit /etc/deny to block everyone not in the IP Address range
edit /etc/allow to add in the IP Address range.

One other question that I have is how does the use of the /etc/deny and /etc/allow deal with remote access (like through the http://yourusername.hda.com or using apps like eXplorer)?

Have a great day:)
Patrick.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Nothing exists other that what you see in the wiki. Not sure how NFS will work with Greyhole. Maybe the author can shed some light.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2