Greyhole stopped main drive full

YOYONL

Greyhole stopped main drive full

Postby YOYONL » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:47 pm

Hello all,

I recently have picked up amahi again since i have some new hardware to play with.
I have setup a box containing the following:

1 x 20 gb drive containing amahi itself
4 x 500gb drive for storage

What i have done is made a storage pool with the 4 500gb drives and started loading the drives with data overnight.
Now i want to access my hda dashboard i get an ruby on rails error. Looking over the forums i got pointed towards checking if the main drive is full and it is.

Partition / is at 100% and the most used folder is /var/ (possibly the landingzone as grehole names it?)
Furthermore i have checked if greyhole is still running but this isnt the case and trying to start it will fail.

So what can i do now? The only way i can control my hda is by putty! rebooting the hda doesnt resolve the problem.
So can somebody assist me in getting it going?

Cheers,

bigmango

Re: Greyhole stopped main drive full

Postby bigmango » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:55 pm

The landingzone should be one of your 500gb drives, and not the root drive.

Please post the contents of /etc/fstab and /etc/greyhole.conf so we can help you fix this.

edit:
In /etc/fstab:
/var/hda/files should be your 1st 500gb drive
/var/hda/drives/drive1 your 2nd 500gb drive
/var/hda/drives/drive2 your 3rd 500gb drive
/var/hda/drives/drive3 your 4th 500gb drive

All 4 will be part of the pool and greyhole will balance the files on all 4 (even /var/hda/files).

YOYONL

Postby YOYONL » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:53 am

Hello bigmango,

first of all thx voor responding to my cry for help :)
I have managed to move the landing zone for the biggest share (music) to my first drive (which is in the pool can that be a problem?)

After moving that landingzone my hda became availible again. but the mysql tables for greyhole became corrupted i have restored them by looking in a other thread some where else on the forum. This resolved in to be able to start greyhole again.

The only question i have is if its ok that my landing zone is on a disk thats part of the pool?

bigmango

Postby bigmango » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:46 pm

Of course, the landingzone is part of the pool. No problem with that.

But why did you only do it for the music share? Now all of the other shares will still have the landingzone on the small 20Gb drive?

Just do as I said above, modify /etc/fstab so that the biggest drive is mounted as /var/hda/files.

Anyway, the problem you are facing is caused by mistakes with the amahi install procedure, and this is poorly reflected in the docs/wiki. It should be made clear to the user that the biggest drive should be the landingzone. If we are fortunate enough, a moderator will fix this.

ghstryder

Postby ghstryder » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:51 pm

But why did you only do it for the music share? Now all of the other shares will still have the landingzone on the small 20Gb drive?

Just do as I said above, modify /etc/fstab so that the biggest drive is mounted as /var/hda/files.

Anyway, the problem you are facing is caused by mistakes with the amahi install procedure, and this is poorly reflected in the docs/wiki. It should be made clear to the user that the biggest drive should be the landingzone. If we are fortunate enough, a moderator will fix this.
http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Greyhole_landing_zone
Which contains "Pick a big enough LZ partition that will allow you to copy enough data. Choosing the biggest drives you have is usually best."

bigmango

Postby bigmango » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:06 am

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Greyhole_landing_zone
Which contains "Pick a big enough LZ partition that will allow you to copy enough data. Choosing the biggest drives you have is usually best."
Yep, but this is a specific gh landigzone article in the wiki. There's nothing in the install instructions every new user is going through (http://www.amahi.org/support/instructions).

It's an install procedure problem. I had the same issue as the OP when I installed amahi; had to move the landingzone drive manually.

I think only users who are installing the amahi root on a small drive/partition with other bigger drives for the pool will see this problem. (my root is 40Gb, OP's is 20Gb).

rjwaldren

Postby rjwaldren » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:03 pm

Disk Pooling: However, if you are planning to use the Greyhole Disk Pooling technology, it's strongly discouraged that you add your root partition to your storage pool. If your root partition (i.e. /) fills up, your system may be rendered unbootable.
That's quoted from the installation instructions linked above - it also links to the Greyhole wiki page which expands on the issue.
Amahi 6.1 x86_64 ExpressCD - Intel D510MO, 2GB, Promise TX300
1x 500GB 2.5" WD Black (OS and LZ). Pool: 1x 1.5TB Samsung F2, 1x 1.5TB Samsung F3, 1x 2TB Samsung F4EG
Apps: uShare, uTorrent, Amahi Energy Saver

bigmango

Postby bigmango » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:13 pm

Ok, going trough it a moment ago I didn't see it.

And add to this the fact that the amahi install did it automatically for me and clearly did it wrong (looking at this post and others on this forum I'm not alone), you can see there's an issue for new users that should be looked into.

Thanks for your feedback.

rjwaldren

Postby rjwaldren » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:38 pm

I did work on the kickstart script for the express CD. It was my first experience with fedoras anaconda installer and I spent some time playing with the disk options... Unfortunately tweaking the installers default partitioning scheme requires imposing things that may not be correct for all cases - some installs target 1TB drives others target 8GB flash. So the tweaking was avoided, what make one happy, will inevitably piss off 10 others. So the installer doesn't do the wrong thing, it does the default, most compatible thing as determined by Fedora.

In a full installation Amahi is installed and configured after the fedora process is complete, and any install time drive customization is done before amahi. Greyhole is optional and configured after installation, so I would never suggest that a first time user expect to go straight production without first gaining some experience. There are many threads on suggested greyhole partition schemes, but it all depends on the hardware and the user to determine whats most appropriate. Not imposing a structure leaves unlimited customizations options.

Through experimentation I found that this partition scheme works best for me using greyhole.
sda1 /boot, 500mb
sda2 /, 30gb
sda3 swap, 4gb
sda4 /var/hda/files, the rest of the 500gb drive for LZ
sdb-sdX, single partition drives dedicated to the pool.

I don't like having the LZ in the pool, because some shares aren't using greyhole.
Amahi 6.1 x86_64 ExpressCD - Intel D510MO, 2GB, Promise TX300
1x 500GB 2.5" WD Black (OS and LZ). Pool: 1x 1.5TB Samsung F2, 1x 1.5TB Samsung F3, 1x 2TB Samsung F4EG
Apps: uShare, uTorrent, Amahi Energy Saver