configure a drive to ONLY be used for duplicates

rcrh

configure a drive to ONLY be used for duplicates

Postby rcrh » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:20 pm

I have a dozen drives in my Amahi server with ages ranging from a few days old to more than three years. The oldest drives are:
1) the smallest in my server,
2) the likeliest to fail (due to age),
3) out of warranty

Additionally, I have a mix of shares that have duplicate copies and those that don't.

Is it possible to configure my older/smaller drives to only hold files that are part of a duplicate pair?

That way when they fail I will have the least amount of impact to my recovery.

Thanks.

sgtfoo

Re: configure a drive to ONLY be used for duplicates

Postby sgtfoo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:40 pm

Remove those old drives from being used in the pool.
That way they are still shares but won't be torn up (not that greyhole actually causes drive thrashing :roll: ) doing greyhole duplicate work.

ssh/ terminal into your hda and find what is being used in the pool..

Code: Select all

sudo greyhole --going
.. will show you which partitions can be removed.
Now you must know which drives you want to remove, so correlate to the drives in the drives section of the web gui.
Once you know which drives are going to be removed from the pool..

Code: Select all

sudo greyhole --going=/var/hda/files/drives/DRIVE-TO-BE-REMOVED/gh
... the above for each path that you wish to remove from the pool (may be dissimilar)
When it's done offloading to your newer drives, uncheck the old drives from using the pool, in the web gui.

I think this way you can use your older drives for less crucial storage of things, and selectively.

Otherwise, I don't know of a modification or method to have greyhole use a drive for only dups, because it would likely cause a mishmash when trying to do drive space balancing.

... calling Dr. Greyhole himself!
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch

rcrh

Postby rcrh » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:23 am

Remove those old drives from being used in the pool.
That way they are still shares but won't be torn up (not that greyhole actually causes drive thrashing :roll: ) doing greyhole duplicate work.
So I think you're suggesting taking them out of the pool and then creating a new share and manually managing what I put on them. If that's the case I think this kinda defeats the point of Amahi. I might be better off turning duplication on for all of my shares. That way I know that everything on the older drives is duplicated somewhere else. I'll have to do the math on this to figure out the impact on my storage.

Maybe the greyhole folks will see this and consider it as a feature. I think it would be useful since one of the points of a JBOD system is to have a mishmash of hardware and this would help mitigate some of the failure risk.

Thanks.

rjwaldren

Postby rjwaldren » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:27 pm

George added some storage definitions to greyhole a while back... Look around the greyhole site for some tips that might help your situation.

https://github.com/gboudreau/Greyhole/w ... rithmUsage
Amahi 6.1 x86_64 ExpressCD - Intel D510MO, 2GB, Promise TX300
1x 500GB 2.5" WD Black (OS and LZ). Pool: 1x 1.5TB Samsung F2, 1x 1.5TB Samsung F3, 1x 2TB Samsung F4EG
Apps: uShare, uTorrent, Amahi Energy Saver

rcrh

Postby rcrh » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:07 pm

George added some storage definitions to greyhole a while back... Look around the greyhole site for some tips that might help your situation.

https://github.com/gboudreau/Greyhole/w ... rithmUsage
Thanks. I'll have to look at this when my brain is fresh.

Vertigo500

Postby Vertigo500 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:44 pm

Tell us if you get it to work, i have been trying to understand that myself, but i dont know where to put the commands, or what to do to make that active.