Ready to give up Greyhole and Amahi, will test more

Vertigo500

Ready to give up Greyhole and Amahi, will test more

Postby Vertigo500 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:54 am

I am near the point of giving up now.

Before i do that, can someone tell me where all the files in the greyhole trash will be? I need to restore all the files, and it will be a big mess after all the renaming and moving of 1000Gb and 100 000 files that are now in trash, deleted or duplicated.

It is sad that Greyhole cant handle moving and renaming for me, only keep static files, and they cant be renamed, or moved, at least on my system. It could be that Greyhole can handle a low number of renaming and moving of files, but i am not sure where the limit is, and nobody wants do discuss the topic, or find out why this is happening, they dont have the time.

But need a way out.

Do i use a live install linux cd, and then just format one disk to NTFS, and move all files from the Gh directory of the other disks to the NTFS disk? Where are the files from the Greyhole trash? Are they in the original location, and have not really been deleted, so i will find them on one of the disks? Or are files in Greyhole trash gone for good? I cannot acces files over the network anymore, so thats out.
Last edited by Vertigo500 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Ready to give up Greyhole and Amahi after total disaster

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:38 pm

The files for the Greyhole attic are in the .gh_attic directory in each Greyhole folder. You can see it by doing a ls from the gh directory.

I am not sure of the attic auto empties over time, but if not then you should be able to recover all your files.

I would be glad to try and help you out if you could summarize what is going on. I am no Greyhole expert, but I have been using it for quite some time with no issues.

Using a Live CD would work to move files as you stated. However, I would rather help you resolve this issue first. I am sure there is something we can do to get you back on track. You might consider stopping by the IRC, #amahi for live help as well. We have a wealth of knowledge there that can assist.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

jbmia

Postby jbmia » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:23 pm

Wow.. whoa Nelly...

I've had some issues with gh too... I've got 8 drives and 8tb's.. the last drive change, I added a 2tb drive and copied over the most of an old 80gb laptop partition with a "bunch" of "documents and settings" files.. like you, I"m talking 10's of thousands if not a 100k files with just that addition.. couple that with the new drive addition and what I believe is the impact of a gh bug and it's just now clearing up 3 weeks later.. I even ran out of inodes on my 20g system partition due to the volume of gh spooled files and had to put the greyhole.log on 15 minute log rotates...

But... that gh bug has been fixed.. as detailed here: http://forums.amahi.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2993. It just hasn't perculated down to Amahi yet...

I suspect, if you've had an issue with a large volume of files driving gh nuts, it might very well be related to the same issue I experienced.. Have a look at the link.. and perform the upgrade to the new gh release. It can't hurt, and it very well might keep you on Amahi.

And.. for the Amahi guys.. as great a solution as it is, a whole bunch of us are here just because of gh. Like many others, I came off MS WHS and found a storage pool replacement.. The other stuff is great, but gh is really what brought me here. I know this might spark some flames, but it really should be given priority and kept up to date.

And, while I'm at it, I've emailed you guys like 5 times looking to be a tester in the last 6 months. With only a single response, indicating the tester service was being revamped and you'd be in touch.. Too no avail??? What gives...

Sorry... had to get that out.. back to your regularly scheduled programming...

jbmia

Vertigo500

Postby Vertigo500 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:15 am

Sorry... had to get that out.. back to your regularly scheduled programming
:lol: I have some things i would like to say also, but i dont want to step on any toes, especcially when they dont get paid. But still, i am not happy with this mess.

I am very happy to get a response. Most of my problems are described in this thread: http://forums.amahi.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3130

But to sum it up: I had some problems, got help from lrevxl (thanks), but it looks to me like the same problem with missing files and renames came back with a vengeance. for example i moved and renamed over a 100 files, only to find them back or in the trash the next day. I also moved about 100 000 pictures and its a big mess now. After all the help i got, i somehow overlooked updating Greyhole, and when i did i could not access the shares anymore. The dashboard works, but not the shares.

I would like nothing more than to get this fixed, but i am not getting anywhere. I was very happy with Amahi and Greyhole, but it does not work now.

jbmia

Postby jbmia » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:06 am

Check this post: http://forums.amahi.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3000 and take a look at your samba log.. should be in /var/log/samba/(name of pc trying to access samba share).log or similar... Compare that to the error in the post. If so, perform the check the rest of the thread for a solution.. I had this same issue. It's a small issue resulting from the upgrade.

(edit: Above applies greyhole 0.9.7... Latest update to 0.9.9.1 shouldn't require this... old post.. just a heads up.. I'd installed 0.9.7 the day before yesterday and just found 0.9.9.1 just now... sorry for the confusion.. http://www.greyhole.net/releases... make sure you pick one of the hda-greyhole releases if you go down that route.....)

I think the problem we've encountered only manifests itself in a major negative way, when you have a large, large volume of files... I had so many files sitting in queue, that it completely filled up my inodes on a 20gb partition.. I never even really knew what "df -i" was or why an inode is important in my life until then... Any who.. GH was running for weeks trying to sort out my files... I did the udpate the day before yesterday and as of last night, GH was sitting around doing nothing.. there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

If you can keep your wits and your patience.. you'll learn a whole lot... that's part of what this is all about...

jbmia

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:43 pm

Yes, we are still working the Greyhole upgrade and it is a priority. However, there are some issues with it and Amahi that are being worked. We rely on the Greyhole author to assist with major issues as he knows it best.

As for the tester program, I am sorry it is taking so long. We have someone who is ramping things up now, but it takes time. You all must understand the core team is all volunteer and are doing are best to stay in front. The apps are only a small part. Keep in mind while Greyhole is a priority, it is not the only one.

Users are free to upgrade manually via the Greyhole web site until we are ready to implement the latest with Amahi. I cannot guarantee there won't be any issues, but if it fixes a problem for some then its worth the risk.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ccondrup

Re: Ready to give up Greyhole and Amahi, will test more

Postby ccondrup » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:58 am

For those of you who are willing to use the latest Greyhole version despite it not being Amahi approved/tested: The wiki page for Greyhole updating now contains instructions for updating or even adding Greyhole as an update repo for yum so GH will be updated when you run "yum update". Doesn't get much simpler.

nefarious

Re: Ready to give up Greyhole and Amahi, will test more

Postby nefarious » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:52 am

For those of you who are willing to use the latest Greyhole version despite it not being Amahi approved/tested: The wiki page for Greyhole updating now contains instructions for updating or even adding Greyhole as an update repo for yum so GH will be updated when you run "yum update". Doesn't get much simpler.
Appreciate that. I upgrade following the wiki and then had to do the force update again to get my shares back, but all is well now.
-=Zod=- Norco RPC-4220, AMD Athlon II 2.8GHz, 16GB RAM, & 40TB in my GH Storage Pool