CLOSED: Moved files revert to origin. Nested shares problem?

taichi

CLOSED: Moved files revert to origin. Nested shares problem?

Postby taichi » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:12 am

Hiya's,

I've had a problem the last little while with moving files. They seem to somehow lose their tombstone or move back to their original location. So I've been troubleshooting to try and get to the bottom of it.

I'm wondering if it might be caused by having nested shares. Essentially I have a parent share configured to use the pool and to keep a duplicate copy. Then I have another share pointing to a child folder of the original share which is configured NOT to use the greyhole pool. I figure since it isn't configured to have greyhole apply to it, it won't interfere with the parent share.
eg
mydocs share pointing to /sharing/lz/mydocs using greyhole pool
photos share pointing to /sharing/lz/mydocs/photos without pooling

Is it possible that they are causing problems?

Or any other ideas? Everything else seems to be fine.

Thanks.

2.6.35.6-45.fc14.x86_64
samba-3.5.5-68.fc14.1.x86_64
hda-greyhole-0.9.2-1.x86_64

lrevxl

Re: Moved files revert to origin. Nested shares problem?

Postby lrevxl » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:19 am

You can't nest shares when dealing with Greyhole. Ostensibly it seems like you could as Greyhole won't know about file operations to the child directory, but whenever Greyhole goes through and runs an fsck it will go through its entire landing zone, including the child directory owned by your nested share! It'll see those files and move them off to the pool assuming that it just missed them some how. Then you move the files or rename them later with the nested share and all you've really done is rename a symlink and Greyhole doesn't see it since it's done through a non-Greyhole share. Later on Greyhole does another fsck and resets these symlinks to the states the tombstones say they should be in.

I'm assuming this is the issue you're facing here, at any rate. Let me know if this isn't what you meant.

taichi

Postby taichi » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:37 pm

Sounds like you understood my issue perfectly. What I didn't think would happen is that the rename in the child share wouldn't apply on the next fsck. But it would explain the issue.

How would Greyhole know if a file was written to or modified in a particular share or not? I thought the fsck would just detect the moved/renamed symlinks and then modify the tombstone and file accordingly, but I must not understand the moving/renaming process in Greyhole properly.

Much appreciated, I guess I'll just ditch the child share.

lrevxl

Postby lrevxl » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:14 pm

How would Greyhole know if a file was written to or modified in a particular share or not? I thought the fsck would just detect the moved/renamed symlinks and then modify the tombstone and file accordingly, but I must not understand the moving/renaming process in Greyhole properly.
Moves/renames/modifications are detected through Samba. Every time a file operation is performed via a Greyhole samba mount a file is written out that Greyhole reads. In a regular Samba share this file is not created for Greyhole so it doesn't know about the moves/renames.

taichi

Postby taichi » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:40 am

Hmm... interesting. I've removed the child share and will just have to map to the full paths for use.

Thinking about it... I could probably map the shares on the HDA, then configure the child share to point to the samba mounts rather than the LZ. That could possibly work but I think I'll at least create a seperate testing set of shares which will keep me from getting in trouble from the wifey for her data moving everywhere, lol.

Much appreciated revx

madhatta

Postby madhatta » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:28 am

I know this is a super old post but I was hoping someone might be able to give some insight when the reverse happens: I had a share named "Share" which was the top level folder (/var/hda/files/drives/drive1/) that all my default LZ shares were in along with the gh folder for that drive. I did not have this share active in Greyhole (only the child LZ shares using the correct paths) but I did connect to it directly to navigate to the child folders and make changes from within Windows Explorer from the client machine. I had some other issues and during the troubleshooting I removed that parent share but wondering if I could add it back in or if I should expect problems with Greyhole if I do?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:04 am

I had some other issues and during the troubleshooting I removed that parent share but wondering if I could add it back in or if I should expect problems with Greyhole if I do?
Should be ok.

If it's not in the storage pool and no copies chosen in Greyhole, it should be ignored.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

madhatta

Postby madhatta » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:11 pm

I had some other issues and during the troubleshooting I removed that parent share but wondering if I could add it back in or if I should expect problems with Greyhole if I do?
Should be ok.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:44 pm

No problem. We prefer users start new threads versus jumping on a 7 year old thread.

Marking this thread as closed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2