Sudden major greyhole problems

acemilo

Sudden major greyhole problems

Postby acemilo » Sat May 28, 2011 12:19 pm

I just added my final drive I planned on adding to my greyhole pool, for a total of 6 data drives. After doing so, I started to get some MAJOR issues and I don't know why. I mount my shares locally and that has been working just fine before today. Now when I boot up I get the following error:

Mounting Samba shares locally: ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
mkdir: missing operand
Try 'mkdir --help' for more information.
mount error(111): Connection refused
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

The last line repeats for each of my shares. This worked just fine before today when I added that last drive. The other big problem, is that the greyhole service is not starting on boot. When it's done booting, I have to manually start it. The weird thing is, after the machine is booted, if I run the mount_shares_manually service it works just fine. I really need this working, I don't know why it worked fine before and now it isn't.

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by acemilo on Sat May 28, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acemilo

Re: Sudden major greyhole problems

Postby acemilo » Sat May 28, 2011 1:10 pm

I tried updating to the newer version of greyhole, and now none of my shares are visible, just says cannot find the share. I don't know what to do right now, I'm running a fsck to see if that fixes it. Please, I really need help on this.

EDIT: Ok, I found out the share problem with samba, turns out 0.9.7 of greyhole has an issue, downgrading to 0.9.6 made that work. Greyhole still isn't starting tho, when I boot I do a service greyhole status and it's off. If I check the greyhole log before starting it, it gives me the same mysql sock error so this is a mysql error. monit.d seems to fail also, saying syntax error. How can I fix this?

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sat May 28, 2011 2:47 pm

looks like mysql is not running. why would that be?

make sure it's running and that other services can connect to it!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

acemilo

Postby acemilo » Sat May 28, 2011 3:03 pm

Running service mysqld status returns:
mysqld (pid 1888) is running...

This happened out of no where after I installed that last drive. Greyhole also isn't starting on boot, but running sudo service greyhole start works fine, and running sudo service mount_shares_locally start after boot works fine as well. Please, I really want this working, any help is appreciated!

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sat May 28, 2011 5:01 pm

there is so much information missing here.

what *exactly* and *precisely* was the command run to give that error you send to begin with?

mysql may be running, in theory. from the message, it seems that mysql refused to take connections, somehow.

i would try restarting mysql.

but really, there is no way to come up with any solution with the (lack of) detail in this thread.

start with the very first thing that fails and find out *why*, do not patch it or bypass it.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

acemilo

Postby acemilo » Sat May 28, 2011 11:22 pm

Ok let me be more clear then. When I boot up the server I watch the boot process in detail view to see what it's doing. When it gets to the mount_shares_locally script in it's startup, the error above pops up. When the server is fully booted, I find that the shares are not mounted and the greyhole service is NOT running, however mysql IS running. If I manually start the greyhole and mount_shares_locally script, they start fine and I have no problems after that. The problem is that those 2 services are now failing to start in the boot process.
what *exactly* and *precisely* was the command run to give that error you send to begin with?
It's all in the boot up, so it's the mount shares script and the greyhole service that aren't stopping properly. Like I said, it was starting in boot up properly before today, it just started doing this out of nowhere.

Let me know what other info you need to help me solve this.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sat May 28, 2011 11:57 pm

well, clearly there is an issue with the mount_shares_locally, so that needs to be debugged.

i am not too familiar with it, but perhaps you can fpaste it.
i think it may have come from the wiki?

uslacker

Postby uslacker » Tue May 31, 2011 7:24 am

Is it possible greyhole and mount_shares_locally are trying to start before mysql?

If you start these services in order

Code: Select all

service greyhole start service mount_shares_locally start
do they start OK? Can you access the shares?

uslacker

Postby uslacker » Tue May 31, 2011 8:45 am

In looking at my service confuration, greyhole and mount_shares_locally were both set to start with the same priority. This could result in them starting in the wrong order. I made a change to mine to make sure greyhole starts first. Please see the section I added to the Amahi wiki page for this.

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Mount_Shares_Locally

acemilo

Postby acemilo » Tue May 31, 2011 9:09 am

Ok so I put amahi 6 on a new drive, set everything up, added my shares, then reconnected my greyhole drives. Guess what? Same problem came back. Same error code, same problem. I took the advice above and added greyhole to the necessary services and it didn't seem to do anything. What else could it possibly be? I'd really like to get this fixed.