Possible bug with stickies and similarly named Shares?

dinomic

Possible bug with stickies and similarly named Shares?

Postby dinomic » Sat May 07, 2011 8:35 am

Hi,

I've been trying to work out why something weird is going on with my Greyhole pool, and I reckon it's caused by similarly named Shares both using the same "sticky_files" info, rather than their own.

Basically, I initially had a Share called "TV_Series" with the following sticky info in the greyhole.yml file:

- - TV_Series/
- - /var/hda/files/drives/drive3/gh
- /var/hda/files/drives/drive4/gh

I ran the above 2 drives as a kind of RAID1 (ie in Amahi, the share was set up to "use the Pool" and create "1 extra copy", and with the landing zone of "/var/hda/files/drives/drive3/TV_Series").

All was well until I ran out of space on both drives, and hence needed to extend the storage, so I go a new pair of drives (drive7 and drive8). Now since there doesn't seem a way to create a RAID10 type of arrangement so that I can split the share over 2 pairs of drives (ie drive3 mirrored with drive4, and drive7 mirrored with drive8), I thought I'd create another Share, called "TV_Series2". It was set up in the same way, but with the LZ as "/var/hda/files/drives/drive7/TV_Series2", and with the following added in greyhole.yml:

- - TV_Series2/
- - /var/hda/files/drives/drive7/gh
- /var/hda/files/drives/drive8/gh

The problem was, whenever files were added to this new share, Greyhole would copy them onto drive3 and drive4 instead, even though they were both nearly full and both drive7 and drive8 were completely empty 2TB drives! I then tried creating different new Share names (eg "TV_Series_2", "TV_Series_Two", etc), but all would do exactly the same. So I then thought this must be an issue with the code I'd put into greyhole.yml, However, then I created a new share called "New_Share" and changed the yml file to be as follows:

- - TV_Series2/
- - New_Share/
- - /var/hda/files/drives/drive7/gh
- /var/hda/files/drives/drive8/gh

This worked (ie stuff correctly got copied to drive7 and drive8).

So, my thinking is that it can only be an issue with Greyhole only PARTIALLY matching the share name (ie if you search for "TV_Series", then it'll match both "TV_Series", "TV_Series2" and "TV_Series_Two") when it does a lookup to see if any sticky info is stored?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated...
Norco 4220 Case
Gigabyte GA-G33-DS3R Motherboard w/ 8GB RAM
LSI SAS2116PCIe 6GB/s SAS (replaced 3Ware 9690SA-4I & Chenbro CK1360)
1 x Hitachi 160Gb2.5" System Drive (original 1 x OCZ 60GB Vertex 2 SATAII 2.5" SSD died)
8 x 4TB Hitachi Deskstars
6 x 3TB Hitachi Deskstars
6 x 2TB Hitachi Deskstars (1 dead!)

lrevxl

Re: Possible bug with stickies and similarly named Shares?

Postby lrevxl » Sat May 07, 2011 9:16 am

It's quite possible this is the case, I fixed some bugs (in other parts of the code) that could lead to potential name confusion in situations like this, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that it also affects the code for referencing sticky drives. You can create a defect report at the google code page http://code.google.com/p/greyhole/issues/list and in the mean time you could attempt to differentiate the names in a way that gives them separate prefixes (i.e. have one start with TV_Series and Another start with TV__Series) -- it's kind of a hack, but it should see you through until the bug is fixed and gboudreau starts building releases again.