Force Files From Landing Zone?

ListerD

Force Files From Landing Zone?

Postby ListerD » Thu May 05, 2011 10:09 pm

Is there a way to manually force files to migrate from the landing zone? I am in the middle of a multi-terabyte migration from WHS to Amahi and have just hit the wall with the landing zone filling up. It is on a 2 TB drive, used as the landing zone and part of the pool. Files seem to be slowly getting transferred to other drives in the pool, but I'd like to spur the process along. I thought about using the balance command to at least increase utilization of a couple of my drives which have very little data on them thus far, but wanted to check and see if there was a better way.

Ideally, I'd like for Greyhole to prioritize use of all other drives in the pool, transferring off the landing zone drive as soon as possible and only using the landing zone drive, which is part of the pool, when no other resources are available.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Got to say, Amahi/Greyhole have been working quite well, and have been more stable than WHS on my Acer Easystore. Great work!
Amahi-HDA: Intel Q6600, 6 GB RAM, Radeon HD3870 512 MB video 12 TB storage (SansDigital TowerRaid TR5M+B attached). Fedora14
HTPC: Intel 2700K, 16 GB RAM, Radeon HD6870 1 GB video. Win7 Home Premium x64
Other Systems: 13" Macbook OSX Leopard, IBM t42 Ubuntu 10.10

sgtfoo

Re: Force Files From Landing Zone?

Postby sgtfoo » Fri May 06, 2011 6:03 am

go into a terminal or ssh the server and run:

Code: Select all

sudo greyhole -f -l
That will:
-ask for your password to run the command as elevated
-make greyhole do a file system check
-make greyhole balance across all drives.

that should do the trick.. otherwise I'm pretty sure greyhole automatically does a daily file system check to offload the landing zone at midnight.
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch

ListerD

Postby ListerD » Fri May 06, 2011 9:29 am

Thanks, that definitely helped, although it is still not offloading as much as I'd like from the landing zone partition, which is also part of the pool. I still want to keep it as part of the pool, though.

Is there currently any way to set drive or partition priority so that the specified resources within the pool would be used up first? My thought is as follows:

Let's say I have four partitions or drives. Partition A is the landing zone and is also part of the pool. B, C, and D are only part of the pool.

Set priority as follows:

A:0
B:1
C:1
D:2

Files would be moved from the landing zone to D first until it fills up since it is the highest priority resource. B and C are higher priority than A, so files from the landing zone would be moved to these two resources next, preferably in a balanced fashion as they are set to the same priority level. A would be used last, as it is the lowest priority device.

Would this be an enhancement request, and/or is this even possible?

Thx!
Amahi-HDA: Intel Q6600, 6 GB RAM, Radeon HD3870 512 MB video 12 TB storage (SansDigital TowerRaid TR5M+B attached). Fedora14
HTPC: Intel 2700K, 16 GB RAM, Radeon HD6870 1 GB video. Win7 Home Premium x64
Other Systems: 13" Macbook OSX Leopard, IBM t42 Ubuntu 10.10

lrevxl

Postby lrevxl » Fri May 06, 2011 4:26 pm

Would this be an enhancement request, and/or is this even possible?
It's probably possible, it just needs someone with the time and interest to take the time to implement it. It's already a standing possible enhancement on the google code page: http://code.google.com/p/greyhole/issues/detail?id=69

sgtfoo

Postby sgtfoo » Sat May 07, 2011 12:05 pm

2 things...

I noticed after watching activity via

tail -f /var/log/greyhole.log
That you may need to run the commands in seperate instances

so first, do

greyhole -f
then let it finish (you can watch it with the "tail"command above)
then do

greyhole -l
to balance thru the drives. I just added a 2TB drive today and now I have greyhole balancing to the new drive now that it's there to be used. It's working out quite well.

As for drive filling priority, that's doesn't seem possible in greyhole, but you can set individual shares to stay in particular drives... you may need to unmount the drives in question and move files around between drives, which may get confusing.

but in the end you may want

/var/hda/files/drives/drive1/ to contain only the /movies folder for example
and perhaps
/var/hda/files/drives/drive2/ to contain only the /photos folder for example

your LZ will always be the /var/hda/files/ base folder

--anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch