Drive mount points

Sparticuz

Drive mount points

Postby Sparticuz » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:41 am

I'm a recent convert from whs. LOVING Amahi at this point :) Also, I'm a linux medium tech user, I've used Ubuntu since 2005 off and on. With a splash of Red Hat before that. (Never as main pc)

Anyways, I've got (at this point) 5 hard drives connected in my pool.

The boot hard drive has an extra 60gb mounted to /var/hda/files

Then there are 4 hard drives mounted here:
/var/hda/files/drives/sdb
/var/hda/files/drives/sata300
/var/hda/files/drives/sata250
/var/hda/files/drives/hitachi1000

In my mind, I'm thinking that the extra 60gb should be mounted to something like /var/hda/files/drives/extra60 or something similar. I guess I'm just having some trouble 'logically' thinking that those extra drives are mounted in folders 'inside' the extra 60 gb drive...

(Sub-question that I didn't want to re-thread)
I want to rename /var/hda/files/drives/sdb to /var...../pata250. Do I just need to change my fstab, or do I need to remove the drive from the storage pool, then re-add it under pata250?

gboudreau

Re: Drive mount points

Postby gboudreau » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:21 pm

To remount a drive somewhere else:
- stop the greyhole service (uncheck watchdog, then stop it, in the servers page of the dashboard)
- remount the drive (umount, edit fstab, mount -a)
- add the new drive path into your storage pool in the amahi dashboard, and remove the old path
- restart the greyhole service (start it, and re-check the watchdog option)
- from a terminal: greyhole --fsck

I don't think you need or want to remount the /var/hda/files partition. Doing so, you'd have to manually re-create all your shares paths, or re-configure all your shares to the new location of your mount. It's possible, but I don't see the need.
Having all the pooled drives mounted in the / partition, or another partition, is equivalent.
- Guillaume Boudreau

ccondrup

Re: Drive mount points

Postby ccondrup » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:32 am

Thanks a lot gboudreau, these instructions really helped me.