/ = 49G
/home = 82G
/var/hda/files/drives/drive4 = 458G
/var/hda/files/drives/drive5 = 1.8TB
/var/hda/files/drives/drive6 = 900G

new files shares want to be setup on
/var/hda/files/.....

Questions
1) With the three disk in a pool, the largest file that I can put into the pool is 49G as the / drive is the limiting factor?
2) The 'master' file will remain on the / drive always, or just until Greyhole moves it?
3) One of my drives is a 10K RPM drive, but only 150G, should I set this up as in-depended drive then, pool from it, to increase through put?

Thank You.

muddyfox470

Re: Drive usage

Postby muddyfox470 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:33 pm

Quick answer from me, for all your shares, if you expand the share(s) and individually change the location (click on the source i.e. var/hda/files... it will change colour when you hover over it) and change it to the drive you want followed by the share name, i.e. yours would be var/hda/files/drives/drive6/Music then all your files will use that as the landing zone and will then redistribute using greyhole over night.

Hope that is some help as I only stumbled it by chance after messing around a little!

Good luck!

kcossabo

Postby kcossabo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:45 pm

Thank U!!!!

So I can use any drive in the pool as a 'landing zone' then greyhole replicates it later.

For me with drive being a 10RPM one, I may want to make it not the boot drive, but rather a supper drive in the pool, where I put most used files (like video editing) to gain speed.

500G drive I am getting 3MB/s to (something wrong), 10RPM drive, over 100MB/s to....

HHCosmin

Postby HHCosmin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:01 am

to me the size of the / and /home is excessively large unless you use you server for more than files/media server
you could mount one of the larger partitions as the landing zone (/var/hda/files) and also have that in the pool. if i were you i would use the largest and then fastest drive for it.

kcossabo

Postby kcossabo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:37 am

Newbie here, so what would you recommend. I Assume I need to rebuild from scratch to do this. I have a 150G Velocor Raptor Drive. I also assume

Swap
/
/home
and a new area for LandingZone

the build put the boot drive into a Volume Group, even though there is just one drive.

HHCosmin

Postby HHCosmin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:50 am

noobie here also but banged my head a lot against amahi/fedora.
no you do not need to remake what you have. some sugest that / should be 20gb and /home 10. depends on wether you want this only as a server or not. i have / and /home on a 20gb partition as i need only the server functionality. matter of taste.

/ = 49G
/home = 82G
/var/hda/files/drives/drive4 = 458G
/var/hda/files/drives/drive5 = 1.8TB
/var/hda/files/drives/drive6 = 900G

this is what you have. i would make the / to 20gb, /home to 10gb... more if you use it as a desktop
so i would put the /. /home and /var/hda/files one same drive, fastest you have but large enough to be able to have several hundreds of gigs for the landing zone on it. you have to take into accoutn that everything you store on the hda will go through the landing zone so it pays off if the drive is fast and big.

the partition that will be the landing zone will be mapped to /var/hda/files instead of /var/hda/files/drives/driveX

you said about speed. greyhole is not for speed. it's not raid like so you do not get aggregate speed. it's mostly for storage. you can define one share to not use the pool and use a fast drive. you will then be bottlnecked by network and disk speed.

if i were you i would spend more time testing this before storing precious data on it.

kcossabo

Postby kcossabo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:43 pm

thank you. I assume there is no way to do a repartition live?

WRT the drives, those are the 4 of the 13 I plan to have in the box. I am converting my 13 drive WHS.

thank you again.

HHCosmin

Postby HHCosmin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:17 am

you can do a live repartitioning. you just have to unmount the partition and then you can do whatever you like. i did not manage to play with the / partition, for /home you should be in root account to do that.

welcome and good luck!

kcossabo

Postby kcossabo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:43 am

thank you all.

Live partitioning worked for the /home, but hosed the /

I rebuilt the sever with the smaller sizes, and created a /lz of 99G for the landing zone of the pools. Seems to work well.

I am migrating the WHS NTFS drives over by mounting the drive, and dragging the folder in Fedora. Greyhole could not keep up with the incoming and to the pool (no replication on at this time), and the file copy error at the 96G mark when coping a 170G directory, by the time I picked 'skip' the file, greyhole cleared the landing zone, and it continued fine.

I will need to think about how Aperture Storage is going to work. The Vault is 180G, so I might use a 500G drive for the Landing Zone, for at least the initial copy.

Is there a best practice for Landing Zone size and flat-file database size?

HHCosmin

Postby HHCosmin » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:18 am

on the LZ you should have enough space to store at leats your largest single files. then it should have enough buffer zone to allow you to copy your stuff. if you regularly write large amount of data then you should make sure you have the LZ big enough and having a dedicated partition for it. if you don't then you can use the LZ partition in you storage pool. there is no general recomandation. i believe that for the most users having the system (i use 20gig for it and seems plenty) and the rest of the drive as separate partition for LZ. the LZ partition is also in the pool as to me it seems wasteful to not use in the pool.