Does Greyhole backup drives like Raid 5 / Unraid?

Mysteriouskk

Does Greyhole backup drives like Raid 5 / Unraid?

Postby Mysteriouskk » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:39 pm

I need something that has similar features to Unraid or RAID5. Does Greyhole/Amahi do this to backup files incase 1 hdd goes down?

gboudreau

Re: Does Greyhole backup drives like Raid 5 / Unraid?

Postby gboudreau » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:24 pm

You can read about the Greyhole features here: http://www.greyhole.net/
- Guillaume Boudreau

HHCosmin

Re: Does Greyhole backup drives like Raid 5 / Unraid?

Postby HHCosmin » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:14 am

greyhole is not raid but can be a smart inexpensive solution.
you can have redundancy per share and the level of redundancy can be configured. if you have n disks in you pool then you can have n redundancy, meaning n copies of the data. however you will use 4 times the space so not very efficent as space goes. on the other side if you need quad redundancy then you must have something really valuable so the space is worth it. so you do not get the sapce efficency of raid 5 or the speed but you get the felxibility of using various storage media (sata/pata disks, usb, firewire etc).
i use amahi/greyhole because i can have a pool of storage and for me it's very convenient to see a bunch of disks as one. i store movies and there i do not care about the redundancy so i do not use it. i store books, documents, pictures and for that i need redundancy. i do not have to have a bunch of disks (making noise) in my main pc. i can set per share visibility, access rights etc. i can have a centralized storage that i can access from my house lan and even from outside.
good work amahi/greyhole guys!