Transferring Data

callisto

Transferring Data

Postby callisto » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:14 pm

I guess this would fit into the pooling section.

I am transferring a lot of data from a computer on my network to my Amahi server. It's close to a terabyte, and in chunks from between 40GB to 400GB.

My set up is this:
500GB (main drive, root partition set to 80GB, not included in storage pool, rest of drive one partition and used for storage pool)
three 1TB drives (used in storage pool)

While I was transferring one of the smaller chunks (40GB of music) I noticed my root (/) partition's free space was shrinking in size.

After the transfer was complete I noticed that the free space of my root partition was increasing.

So I assume that's how Greyhole works? It puts the files where the actual folders are, then transfers them to the storage pool drives?

If so, that stinks. I can't transfer more about 60GB at a time, and I have to wait for it to clear off the root partition before the next batch?

Is there a work around for this? Or should I just redo the partioning?

nephster

Re: Transferring Data

Postby nephster » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:42 pm

Move the location of your shares to one of your bigger drives using the Dashboard. This location acts as a "landing strip" for the files, before they are moved to your nominated storage drives using Greyhole. The bigger the partition you use for this, the more you can transfer in one go. But apart from when transferring it will sit empty (apart from the symlinks that Greyhole replaces the files with).