Clean install partitioning

moncapitaine

Re: Clean install partitioning

Postby moncapitaine » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:03 am

Hi,

how about adding this to the amahi wiki?

I only read this now and will do a clean partitioning for the use with greyhole now.

This could save time for many people.
Celeron G530, 8GB RAM, Intel SDD 80GB system, 8TB Storage. Fileserver and Mediaserver.

jayrock

Postby jayrock » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:51 am

It's on my To-Do list.....

EDIT: It's here: http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Partiti ... an_install

Comments are welcome!

moncapitaine

Postby moncapitaine » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:44 pm

@jayrock

Looked up the wiki entry, seems right to the point to me.
Just for better readability you might want to increase the space between the lines.

One technical question, though: Is there an advantage in using LVM over simple partitions?
I simply have one root ext4 partition, one swap and an additional ext4 for landing zone.

Please forgive me if I write in rather poor English, it's not my native language.
Celeron G530, 8GB RAM, Intel SDD 80GB system, 8TB Storage. Fileserver and Mediaserver.

jayrock

Postby jayrock » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:13 pm

Thanks moncapitaine for the feedback.

I don't think that LVM provides huge benefits if greyhole is used anyway (But I'm no expert so please correct me if I'm wrong). What I intend with the guide in the wiki is that the resulting system is as close to one that's set up with the Fedora default.

/jayrock

mrgrumpy33

Postby mrgrumpy33 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:01 am

Hi Jayrock. Some feedback on your wiki.

Decided to have a try at getting Amahi with Greyhole going, as an alternative to Windows Home Server (what a mess they have made of that).

Have to say I'm new to Linux. Used Solaris ten years ago when I was doing C programming for a job, so know a little, but not much. All my experience is as developer on Windows since OS/2.

I have to say that without your Wiki in place I would have given up, so thanks for that. Invaluable.

One bit that needs expanding is the bullet point.........

"Delete the drive that is marked as physical volume (LVM) (for instance, Drives/dev/sda)."

The problem is probably that a Windows user (me) doesn't really understand the information being presented, but there will probably be quite a few of us.

You can't delete the line with the actual text "physical volume" because it is part of a VLM Volume Group. So now you go to /dev/sda like it says in the text and delete that instead. But now you have deleted the /boot as well. And there is nothing in the following text to explain how to recreate it, so that can't work.

The way I completed the operation was a two stage delete. First delete the LVM Volume group at the top, then you CAN delete the line with the actual text "physical volume" and leave the /boot line intact.

The rest of the instructions the work fine.

The other point that was very important in your Wiki was the first one. Disconnect all drives. I knew better and decided to ignore that and wasted about three hours messing about. It needs underlining or highlighted in big bold print.

Cheers

Bob C.