Greyhole with SSD pros and cons

globier

Greyhole with SSD pros and cons

Postby globier » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:00 am

Hi All,
I'm looking into migrating my whs to amahi and will build a new box as well.

I'm wanting to make the file writes as fast as my $$ will pay for which does include a SSD, and 3 x 2TB data disks. I can afford up to a 120GB SSD.

What I am wanting is really a "drop zone" which will be where I put my files and then I am hoping that greyhole can then in it's own time move them to the data disks.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to setup the system.

btw, here are the other hardware specs.
Gigabyte D525TUD with Intel Atom D525
Fractal Designs Array R2 case
2 x 2GB Kingston DDR3
4 port sata raid card
2 x Samsung 2TB Sata drives
Corsair Force F120 120GB SSD

gboudreau

Re: Greyhole with SSD pros and cons

Postby gboudreau » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:52 am

There's not much to know...

Add your 3 x 2 TB drives to the storage pool (in Setup > Shares > Storage pool).
Then create your shares (or edit the existing shares): put their Location to a directory on your SSD drive.

When you'll copy files, they'll end up on the SSD, and Greyhole will move them to your 3x2TB drives in the background.

With a 120GB 'landing zone', you won't be able to copy much more than 120-150GB of data at a time, then you'll need to wait a little, to allow GH to move those files away from the SSD before you continue copying more data.
GH does that in the background (so it does it even while you're copying more files), but it does it with a lower priority, so it might be slower than the incoming transfer.
That might just be an issue during the initial migration of your old data, since it's not every day that you add more than 120GB of data at the same time...
- Guillaume Boudreau