Remove disk from storage pool

jostyposty

Remove disk from storage pool

Postby jostyposty » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:48 pm

Is it possible to remove a disk from the storage pool, but keep the files saved on this disk in the shares? I guess just unchecking the "Pooled" checkbox in Shares->Storage Pool doesn't do the trick.

gboudreau

Re: Remove disk from storage pool

Postby gboudreau » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:19 pm

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, and why, so I don't know how to best answer your question.
Please explain why you'd like to remove that drive from the pool, while continuing to use it for shares...
Also, please indicate what shares have 'Uses Pool' selected (just one? all of them?), and the number of extra copies you have selected for those.
- Guillaume Boudreau

jostyposty

Postby jostyposty » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:01 pm

I'll try to make myself more clear.

I am using the "Uses pool" option for all my shares. And most of the shares have the '-' option for extra copies. (One share, Pictures, have the option 1 extra copy.)

What I want to do is remove one drive from the pool, and then from the server. But I don't want to loose any files stored on this drive.

The reason for removing the drive could be to change it with a drive with more space.

gboudreau

Postby gboudreau » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:28 pm

Code: Select all

greyhole --going
Will show you the list of arguments it can take.
Example:

greyhole --going /var/hda/files/drives/sdb1/gh
This should move all the files from that drive, for which there is only one copy, to other drives.

It's not been tested a lot, so I suggest you make sure all your files found on that drive are really copied to the other drives before wiping it.
- Guillaume Boudreau

jostyposty

Postby jostyposty » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:36 pm

Nice. Should have guessed it myself by looking at the greyhole usage. Thanks!

A couple more questions if it is okay:

What is happening if you uncheck a previously checked drive in the list in Shares->Storage Pool?

And what is happening with the files if you uncheck the "Uses pool" checkbox for a share in Shares->Shares?

gboudreau

Postby gboudreau » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:52 pm

What is happening if you uncheck a previously checked drive in the list in Shares->Storage Pool?
During the next nightly check, files that had only one copy on that drive would be removed from the share.
The actual file copies on that drive wouldn't be touched, since it's not part of the pool anymore. So you'd be able to re-add it anytime after that, to get the files back.
For files with more than one copy, the missing copy that was stored there would be re-created somewhere else, if another drive was available for that.
And what is happening with the files if you uncheck the "Uses pool" checkbox for a share in Shares->Shares?
Not much. They will still be available, but any change you make to them will only be made on one copy, not any extra copies. New files added on that share won't be moved in the pool; it will just stay in the share directory.
- Guillaume Boudreau

jostyposty

Postby jostyposty » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:15 pm

Thanks for the clear answers!

gastone

Postby gastone » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:04 pm

when i use the "greyhole --going /var/hda/files/drives/drive3/gh" to empty the drive it gives back the following:

PHP Warning: date_default_timezone_get(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Helsinki' for 'EEST/3.0/DST' instead in /usr/bin/greyhole on line 32
Please use one of the following with the --going option:
/var/hda/files/drives/drive1/gh
/var/hda/files/drives/drive2/gh
/var/hda/files/drives/drive3/gh
/var/hda/files/drives/drive6/gh

Any ideas why it won't work? I haven't unselected the drive from pool or anything like that..
I'm on F14/Amahi6
Thanks

gboudreau

Postby gboudreau » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:51 am

When you use --something, if that something needs a parameter, it must be specified with an = sign, not a space.

greyhole --going=/var/hda/files/drives/drive3/gh
- Guillaume Boudreau