greyhole & raid array

popefinn

greyhole & raid array

Postby popefinn » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:44 pm

I've set up greyhole running on a raid stripe 3+0 and one 160 gb sata drive for redundancy however greyhole just seems to constantly move files form the raid array (sda1) to the small drive (sdd1). when i copied over 100GB of video data earlier half of it went onto the raid then 10 minutes later all but 3 GB of it had transferred back off the raid array onto the small drive.

I copied the files back onto the main drive after disabling greyhole and samba then after reenabling them its all being moved straight back onto the smaller drive.

Monitoring the logs just shows thats its constantly moving files back onto sdd1 yet instead of giving a status report every 10 seconds it appears to be haning and then writing a lot at once. also when i tried to run fsck the following line appeared in the logs:

write: Can't insert in tasks_completed: database is locked

Any ideas?

gboudreau

Re: greyhole & raid array

Postby gboudreau » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:53 am

Find a file for which the behaviour you describe happened. Try to pick a file with a filename that no other file (in other dirs) has.
Then execute this command:

Code: Select all

greyhole --debug file_name
Also:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/greyhole.conf
FYI: Greyhole will write every 10 seconds in the log file when it's idle, not when it's active. When it's working, it will write in the log file as soon as it has something to log. Long periods of time with nothing in the log probably mean Greyhole is busy parsing your samba log, which can take quite a while if you did a lot of file operations through Samba.

Also, you should never manually move or write into the /gh directories, or in the shared directories (/var/hda/files/*).
Greyhole storage pool needs to always be accessed using Samba shares, nothing else.
- Guillaume Boudreau