SOLVED: Reducing number of extra copies

poohbear

SOLVED: Reducing number of extra copies

Postby poohbear » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:49 am

I am using Greyhole UI to manage Greyhole. When I first setup Greyhole, I specified one extra copy on each of the shares. This was a mistake since I have now run out of space on all three 4 TB drives.

I want to free up space by setting extra copies to 0 on one share that has 3 TB of files on it (where I already have an external backup).

I have changed the number of copies to 0 for that share in the Greyhole UI. However, no files seem to have been removed (it has been a couple of weeks).

Is there something I need to/can do to trigger the removal of extra copies on the specified share?

If not, is there an alternative solution I can use to remove the duplicate copies to free up space on the drives installed in the server?

Best regards,

Tom

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Reducing number of extra copies

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:45 am

Please post a copy of your /etc/greyhole.conf file.

This will likely point to the issue.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

poohbear

Postby poohbear » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:54 pm

Thanks for the very fast reply.

As I was browsing the Storage pooling thread on this forum, I came across a post about manually emptying the Greyhole trash.

I had completely missed that. After running greyhole --empty-trash, a little more than 3 TB of files was removed, approximately matching the size of the share for which I reduced the number of copies.

Unless this is an incredible coincidence, I assume that the files where indeed removed when I reduced the number of copies on the share but were sitting in the Greyhole trash folder.

If that sounds likely, then problem solved. If not, I will post a copy of the conf file once I figure out how to do that (I am brand new to using the terminal/Fedora)

Best regards,
Tom

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:57 pm

Yea that is likely the issue.

Unfortunately you have to empty the trash manually with Greyhole. If you don't, your drive will fill up.

Let consider this resolved.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2