Announcing: Amahi Netboot pre-release

marcel

Re: Announcing: Amahi Netboot pre-release

Postby marcel » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:20 am

Post the output of:

Code: Select all

cat /var/log/messages
to http://paste.amahi.org and give us a link to the post here.
Here the link http://paste.amahi.org/f116c5b5a

ip adres of the computer 192.168.2.100 (netboot)

Marcel

Did you get this error before or after the "upgrade" to 4.0?

GGD
after the upgrade, but never tried this feature before...
My HDA cpu: E1400 2Ghz; motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2H; memory: Team 2Gb DDR2; 200GB OS HDD, 2x western digital GP 1TB storage HDDs; case: Antec P182

chaosdesign

Postby chaosdesign » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:40 am

Just a quick question, is Amahi Net-boot still a go or has it died a natural death.

I have been looking at lots of PXE setup guides and its quiet a mission to get even a basic setup working.

I tried the http://files.getdropbox.com/u/364883/Am ... noarch.rpm link but got a 404 error.
Is this still available?

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:52 pm

not dead, just needs some TLC!

it's available, and in the repo! http://f12.amahi.org/noarch/amahi-netbo ... noarch.rpm

now, how up to date, etc. ... i am not sure. we need someone to take the lead in this area and gently steer everyone in the direction of a great configuration for netbooting. it is a very cool thing.

last i checked it was required for clonezilla, so it will just come in naturally with it. i added you to be a collaborator for clonezilla ... maybe you can help out a bit in this area? :D
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

dogzrule

Postby dogzrule » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:08 am

I am having trouble with installing apps needing netboot.

Yesterday something killed my entire mysql installation so I decided to wipe the hard drive and do a clean install.

The install was fine, and on booting other PCs on the network I see that netboot has been installed (yay!) and the 2 default netboot apps (memtest and PBA) are listed.

My issue comes when I try to install any other netboot app.

i.e. yesterday ReDo Backup/restore was working fine. Now when I install ReDo, or Clonezilla, or Xpud, the configuration files in /usr/share/amahi-netboot/tftp/ never get updated.

Any suggestions? Something clearly is preventing these apps from setting up properly. Or I clearly forgot something really important.

Help????
--production HDA : 2.8GHz core-2 duo, Asus P5BV-M mobo, 2GB RAM, Rosewill R901-P case, 2x iStarUSA BPU-340SATA hot-swap bays, Areca 1220 8-drive raid controller, 5 Seagate ST315005N1A1AS 1.5 TB drives

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:46 am

Hello,

Have you gotten all the Fedora 12 and Amahi updates? The platform was updated to allow sudo permissions for application install. As a result, these netboot apps are now configured to use it for a true one-click install.

Also check the /var/logs/amahi-app-install.log and see if there are any error messages. It sounds like the apps did not complete install as designed.

Is this Fedora 12 full DVD or Express CD? Is it 32 or 64 bit? Not that it should matter, but trying to ensure we have all the bases covered. Hope we can get you back on track shortly.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

dogzrule

Postby dogzrule » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:38 am

Hello,

Have you gotten all the Fedora 12 and Amahi updates?

Is this Fedora 12 full DVD or Express CD? Is it 32 or 64 bit?
I installed with the DVD. 64 bit. I did the install exactly per the instructions.

No updates.

In fact that my be another bug.

I noticed that there was no "Add/Remove Programs" entry in the Gnome System Menu. I also noticed there was no "Software Updates" entry either.

So I blew the drive away and reinstalled again and here's what I noticed.

On an install of Fedora, both the "Add/Remove Software" and "Software Updates" are present on the Gnome System menu.

After installing Amahi and rebooting, they are gone.

So something in the Amahi install is deleting them. ??? How do I easily get them back??? This is messed up. This is totally 100% reproducible.

7 months ago I did the exact same install on the exact same PC with the exact same install DVD and did not have this issue.

What gives??? Please try to reproduce this. This is (seems to me) a show stopper.
--production HDA : 2.8GHz core-2 duo, Asus P5BV-M mobo, 2GB RAM, Rosewill R901-P case, 2x iStarUSA BPU-340SATA hot-swap bays, Areca 1220 8-drive raid controller, 5 Seagate ST315005N1A1AS 1.5 TB drives

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:27 pm

It's reproducible because we had to add it to the installer :(

The reasons are:

- There was an issue with escalation early in F12. Huge controversy. We had to lock that down as a possible security issue. I don't recall the specifics now, but it dominated the F12 release discussion
- The notifications produced by these program (PackageKit) were alarming many users. Most of these are innocuous urging people to update. We were getting lots of support questions. This way it's "set and forget" and people are happier and we get less support questions, so we can take time to work on other things
- We still have the ability to make extremely urgent updates available if it's needed
- Many people do not use the desktop, so we thought it was ok to do this.

Can I ask - why is this a show stopper for you?

You can get the package kit back with this, probably:

yum -y install gnome-packagekit
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

dogzrule

Postby dogzrule » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:13 pm

Can I ask - why is this a show stopper for you?

You can get the package kit back with this, probably:

yum -y install gnome-packagekit
Thanks, that did restore the update tool.

It's a showstopper if I need an update but have no way to manually force an update or even check for others. It's a kind of catch-22 that drives me up a wall.

My sympathies to the support group, but instead of being like Microsoft, I would prefer that a system let me think for myself and use tools for myself when needed. This is one of the reasons I've been a Linux fan this last decade.

Such as cases like this. You said the installer for the net-boot apps was failing because I didn't have the updates but I had no way to forcibly install the updates.

It's trivial to force the updater to download *all* updates or *security only* updates. I set mine on day one (7 months ago) to only install the security updates, ignoring the others and never had any issues.

Please, put it back. With a page in the wiki as to how to ignore it. Some of us depend on the updater and add/remove software tool. Or at least a page in the wiki as to how to restore it for others.

At least a page in the wiki to tell us how to force Amahi to go download *its* updates.

At any rate, once F12 is installed using the directions, it is *impossible* to install the updates using the tool, I just tried, and it got into "dependency hell" and complained that the update repositories were broken or not installed.

So this time I installed using in addition to the Install and Amahi repos, the Fedora 12 64 bit repository and the updates repository. This install was slower because a few hundred packages had to be downloaded rather than obtained from the CD but this time at least all the base Fedora components were 100% up to date before installing Amahi.

At any rate, I just ran the app installer for the first time (on this particular install) and now I see ReDo is configured in the NetBoot menu.

How long would I have had to wait for my updates to happen if I had ignored it and lived with the loss of functionality? i.e being able to install ReDo properly?

Bottom line is that in my opinion the install directions need to be updated to tell users to add the other two repos, specifically the main repo for their architecture as well as the updates repo.

I'd also like to make the following recommendation regarding the Amahi repo since this little exercise uncovered a huge flaw (in my opinion).

I.e. A user installing *today* following the directions, will *not* have the same user experience, the same level of functionality as a user that installed 6 months ago as I proved. I suspect the reason is that all Amahi updates go in to one Amahi repository. I suggest that the Amahi repo stay untouched and that updates go into an update repository.

I'm sure there's a flaw in that argument somewhere but installing, finding something broken and having to "wait for updates" without having any way to guarantee when that will happen isn't my cup of tea.

I love using Amahi and this isn't even remotely going to get me to look for a replacement. I just think some improvement could be made. Maybe something to think about for the Fedora 13 installs...just a thought. Thank you guys so much for creating and maintaining Amahi, I'd be lost without it.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:33 pm

I suggest that the Amahi repo stay untouched and that updates go into an update repository.
this is a useful suggestion that we have been considering for a while.

about the rest of your suggestions:

- please do edit the wiki (anyone can, you too), with a page on how to restore the add/remove software. that will be useful. doing this is a way to give back in a measurable way - it leaves the dev team to focus on development.
- "dependency hell" is one reason we removed it too
- most people do not care or need or are aware updates. you do, but yours is a very very rare case. we do want to support
- amahi updates are nearly automatic. we make them available in the repos and the systems pick them up at the next update cycle
- you can do your updates with yum update, no need of the graphical tool (which apparently brings in the annoying warnings, etc.)

thanks for the suggestions. this is how amahi improves!

chaosdesign

Postby chaosdesign » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:59 am

I use "Yum update" from the command line, very easy and nice.
I have been thinking about creating a Cron job to update once a week on a Saturday night.
I use Mindterm to achieve this.