I'm testing CentOS+Amahi. Come help make it work!

sgtfoo

Re: I'm testing CentOS+Amahi. Come help make it work!

Postby sgtfoo » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:47 pm

so when trying to install platform, I still get..

Code: Select all

--> Finished Dependency Resolution Error: Package: hda-platform-6.1.5-1.noarch (amahi) Requires: rubygem-gd2 Error: Package: 1:rubygem-passenger-native-libs-3.0.9-1.el6_1.8.7.299.x86_64 (amahi) Requires: ruby = 1.8.7.299 Installing: ruby-1.8.7.352-7.el6_2.x86_64 (base) ruby = 1.8.7.352-7.el6_2 You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

And a huge thanks for writing up the guide!

stern88

Postby stern88 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:09 am

so when trying to install platform, I still get..

--> Finished Dependency Resolution Error: Package: hda-platform-6.1.5-1.noarch (amahi) Requires: rubygem-gd2 Error: Package: 1:rubygem-passenger-native-libs-3.0.9-1.el6_1.8.7.299.x86_64 (amahi) [b]Requires: ruby = 1.8.7.299[/b] Installing: ruby-1.8.7.352-7.el6_2.x86_64 (base) [b]ruby = 1.8.7.352-7.el6_2[/b] You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
Because you have still the wrong ruby-Version. Shutdown your CentOS machine and load an older status. It must be the clean install-status or something like that. Than repeat the steps.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:52 am

Interesting work! Awesome job!

We looked at Centos (we runs most Amahi web sites on Centos 6 and we know it well). I think here are the issues (I posted about this a while ago in some other thread):

1) Centos is permanently behind. By the time they roll around, we'd have been stuck in old libraries for a while.

2) The Centos community is ... not friendly. We tried to interact with them and they are abrasive. On Fedora they are not so much and we have been able to maintain some packages for them. (For completeness: the Ubuntu community is not that great, technically and the great Debian community (probably best, I think), are not that welcoming towards Ubuntu).

3) There are *dozens* of small details that break apps in subtle ways, which makes it hard to do it widely.

4) There is limited support for non-x86 platforms. We would like to at least not loose ARM.

Definitely do not want to discourage you guys, I'm just saying that there is a lot more to it (package names are slightly different, deps are different, some files have different paths in Centos, ...) than meets the eye.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

sgtfoo

Postby sgtfoo » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:14 am

What's dissuading the Amahi team from doing OS spinoff instead of package installation for the platform?

Like how Fuduntu is a Fedora spinoff, or how Linux Mint is a Ubuntu/Debian spinoff .. but with different paths and features.

IMO the app selection is excellent, and freezing that work and creating an OS spinoff would be amazing.

My only growing gripe (though a small one) with Amahi is that once every while the base OS needs to be re-installed for an upgrade to happen... that's why I would have said use CentOS because it's a very long term support release. What others are there? Either that or have a consistent list of files that need to backup for a configuration to be the same after the upgrade.

Time to search distrowatch.org ..

sgtfoo

Postby sgtfoo » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:23 am

still getting ruby version issues after clean install status..

I even tried building and installing from source.. didn't work
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:32 am

The long term support of CentOS is a good point. That is one reason while we choose the Ubuntu LTS version. 5 years of stability is what it should bring once we get all the kinks worked out.

Not to say there won't be bumps, but it should make things better. I think the spin off idea is great, just not sure if we can do it. It's definitely something worth looking into.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

sgtfoo

Postby sgtfoo » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:07 pm

the guys who started Fuduntu or Fedora Fusion might be helpful
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:58 pm

What's dissuading the Amahi team from doing OS spinoff instead of package installation for the platform?
In short, we want to avoid reinventing the wheel. Hardware detection, installer, familiarity of the system, upstream updates, a community behind it, etc.

Doing one of our own is probably a lot more work.

Maybe these days there are ways to build a new installer, with hard drive partitioning, etc.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

stern88

Postby stern88 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:32 am

Hi!
Interesting work! Awesome job!

We looked at Centos (we runs most Amahi web sites on Centos 6 and we know it well). I think here are the issues (I posted about this a while ago in some other thread):

1) Centos is permanently behind. By the time they roll around, we'd have been stuck in old libraries for a while.
Yes, thats true! But there is always the option of graping applications/libraries from source and compiling it. I had the same problem with my jail (freeNAS 8.2 based on freeBSD) and it really helped.
2) The Centos community is ... not friendly. We tried to interact with them and they are abrasive. On Fedora they are not so much and we have been able to maintain some packages for them. (For completeness: the Ubuntu community is not that great, technically and the great Debian community (probably best, I think), are not that welcoming towards Ubuntu).
Just try the german-speaking community. As example go to: www.ubuntuusers.de. They will understand you as nearly every german can speak english. And they will help you. It is IMHO a very friendly community. Just try it.

But there is one topic you should never-ever ask there!! Dont ask them for help with X11-forwarding from a server! You could get answers like "iptables -P INPUT DROP" and many other spiteful answers...
3) There are *dozens* of small details that break apps in subtle ways, which makes it hard to do it widely.

Definitely do not want to discourage you guys, I'm just saying that there is a lot more to it (package names are slightly different, deps are different, some files have different paths in Centos, ...) than meets the eye.
Yes, thats true. Could there be a possiblity to give the CentOS-fans a playground? I mean a specific CentOS-repo (centos6.amahi.org or so).

Currently it is IMHO impossible to get Amahi running on CentOS. It seems like the repo:

baseurl=http://repos.mornati.net/amahi-centos6/RPMS
Is no longer maintained by anyone. Some more reasons for a specific repo:

Working with your repository is very difficult for me. Just for example your packages forces a specific version-number of ruby (f14.amahi.org want to have ruby-1.8.7.299). Otherwise there is no chance to install hda-platform. At next there are strange dependencies. For example "rubygem-hoe" despite one can install hoe over "gem install hoe".

Greets
stern

PS:
Its just my idea. You guys are doing a great job!

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:39 pm

Sure, we can support this. You can create one repo, host it and maintain it. We can start by mapping the c6.amahi.org DNS name to it and later when it's ready we can try to host it!

You will find it's a fair bit of work, but it's great when people help.