Amahi Netboot: Beta Testers Needed!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Amahi Netboot: Beta Testers Needed!

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:06 am

Thanks for the feedback. I will take a look to see what is going on. Is it working? Sometimes errors do not cripple the app, just identify potential issues.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

dano5

Postby dano5 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:24 pm

:D seems it worked fine, though I uninstalled and installed again before I tested booting my desktop computer on it,

I use a dd-wrt router for dhcp and I set tftp-server redirect to hda with dnsmasq.
my dd-wrt dnsmasq additional settings:

Code: Select all

dhcp-boot=pxelinux.0,,192.168.1.37

Other than that it's a fresh mint virtual install on ubuntu desktop 12.04.2 - host is ubuntu 12.10 desktop edition with virtualbox using brigded networking.

if it doesn't do anything other than move some files and install the tftp servies/menu I can always test this on my daily hda :)

any netboot apps other than memtest I can try? ;)
tried pba, but it crashed with a message about nvidia, probably because of drivers or since I have a GTX 660ti & GTX 550ti in my desktop.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:31 pm

You could try Clonezilla. Don't you already have access?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

dano5

Postby dano5 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:34 pm

is it a oneclick? or should it be installed manually?
can't see it, but recently had a username change, care to check, as only app I see is amahi-netboot atm.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm

PBA has been broke for quite some time and probably will never be fixed. The person who wrote the app is long gone I believe. We need to take that out of the menu. I don't think the app is even installed, just shows in the default menu.

Check now, Clonezilla, Parted Magic, and gParted should be in your list. If not, then it might be a pay app. Any app with a convenience fee still requires purchase no matter the status (i.e. BETA or LIVE).
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

dano5

Postby dano5 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:19 pm

tested Gparted and Parted Magic and both booted, but couldn't test further as they refused to load graphics.
Gonna test failsafe after I've rescued a raid0 that got messed up booting up partedmagic,
afaik it's got nothing to do with netboot.

Managed to test Parted Magic in Virtualbox and managed to boot PBA somewhat, but got stuck on an error message.

Parted Magic:

PBA where it got stuck:
missing iso and nfs share, but I reckon that's because PBA isn't installed as an app, but appeared as a part of Netboot-Amahi

Couldn't install Clonezilla as it hasn't appeared in my app list, but I got the mail about being added to it.

And Gparted got stuck on NIC check, probably since I was testing with Virtualbox, neither normal nor failsafe worked, will see if I can find a machine to test properly on tomorrow or Sunday.

If I'm missing any info/logs let me know and not sure if I should post here or in the bugtracker if I find any errors.

Hope this helps :)

dano5

Postby dano5 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:48 pm

More feedback :-)
Bought Clonezilla and installed Gparted/Pmagic/Amahi-Netboot/Clonezilla on my regular server & for now no bugs/crashes/breakage/world ending :-P
Will test on a proper machine tomorrow and report back what does/doesn't work.

Dag Notland

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dano5

Postby dano5 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:22 pm

Can confirm that Amahi-Netboot works on my hda, and I've tested Gparted, Clonezilla & Pmagic all booting without any errors on two different laptops.
I had a raid0 go offline on my desktop when/around the time I was trying to boot Pmagic, but can't say for sure what made it so, but quite certain it wasn't Pmagic's doing.And I can't reproduce it.

update 01.04-13: tested the updated gparted, booted fine, made backup, tested backup, works fine.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

damonq

Postby damonq » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:39 pm

have finally gotten around to extensively testing amahi-netboot on ubuntu 12.04,
but have run into the following road blocks, if anyone can help!

1. When trying edit /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf file
line 21:filename "pxelinux.0";
to filename "gpxelinux.0";
or filename "ipxelinux.0";

settings are reverted to pxelinux.0 on reboot

Searching the forums I believe the settings are loaded from a mysql database
couln't find the setting using phpAdmin

2. Setup booting using using http ?
have tried setting up web-app using name: netboot root path /usr/share/amahi-netboot/tftp/images

But doesn't seem to work

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:15 pm

1. When trying edit /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf file
line 21:filename "pxelinux.0";
to filename "gpxelinux.0";
or filename "ipxelinux.0";

settings are reverted to pxelinux.0 on reboot
I don't believe this can be changed or it might be in more than one location. It should work as is. Is there a reason you want to change it.
2. Setup booting using using http ?
have tried setting up web-app using name: netboot root path /usr/share/amahi-netboot/tftp/images

But doesn't seem to work
The guidance in the wiki should work. There are certain parameters that must be used to boot http.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager