Amahi Netboot: Beta Testers Needed!

smccloud

Re: Amahi Netboot: Beta Testers Needed!

Postby smccloud » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:06 pm

I will try it in Ubuntu. I miss my netboot.....

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:15 pm

You have been added. Please let us know how it works. The current netboot apps will not work with it by default. You will have to manually add your own.

Once this app is finalized, we can work it into the netboot apps.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

smccloud

Postby smccloud » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:44 pm

You have been added. Please let us know how it works. The current netboot apps will not work with it by default. You will have to manually add your own.

Once this app is finalized, we can work it into the netboot apps.
Will do once I get home tonight. And anything is an improvement, since I couldn't get any netboot apps working with Ubuntu before.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:46 pm

None of the netboot apps are configured to work with Ubuntu as of yet. This package is the first attempt at that though. It is not tied to those apps but will be once we can verify its working correctly.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

trw3937

Postby trw3937 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi. Netboot/PXE/TFTP is a tech I've played with for many yrs off and on. Its been quite complex in the past.
So I decided to try it again by following the wiki. I installed the rpm and fired up a pc with a boot rom and bam...memtest running. Very nice. Never been easier.

So then I moved on to trying the netboot for noobs but I can't get pmagic to boot completely. It finds the boot files fine starts loading then hangs a few seconds after the kernel tries to load. (The first stage does load) I've tried with a real PC and a vbox vm. I believe its a path or perm issue. Perms I set to root with 755. The wiki says set it to admin:admin but thats not possible because there's no group in Amahi called admin in F14. The command fails with that message. I believe its related to adding the /amahi-netboot/tftp/your share (which I made pxe) /images/pmagic path not being read correctly after it gets up from the pxelinux.cfg/default file. This is not a clear statement in the wiki : your share/pxelinux.cfg/ your share/images/pmagic/ Does it mean I create another dir like that inside my share pxe? So it needs some help for clarity imo.
I have no complaints about the wiki tuts. I know user contribs are prone to errors.

Just wanted to give my experience with the wiki tuts so it can be improved. I would like to request being added to the testers for this. I think having a page where we share the config's that work can be copy/pasted into our own default file would be helpful. I would like to be able to boot iso's instead of having to dload whole distro's in a zip and extracting them like it says for testing the pmagic. Thats good if one wants it as an often used OS.

It's a good feature for saving on HDD's, cd's and usb sticks for sure as the author said. It allows trying live distro's w/o installing...on and on. I have a wiki acct so I can contribute too.

Thanks, Archetech

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Hello,

We have a few apps already packaged for Fedora 14. They work fine for me, but not sure about others. Some of the downloads are quite large.

As for testing netboot, you can install it manually via command line. Just do:

yum install amahi-netboot

It is not restricted to testers only, just some of the apps we have packaged. They are still evolving and have not been touched for quite some time. We are currently focused on Amahi 7 for Fedora 18 at the moment. Until that is complete, these projects take a back seat.

Agree the tutorials need some updating. Please feel free to do so. It's all about the community keeping guidance up to speed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

trw3937

Postby trw3937 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:41 pm

I am requesting access to the apps(?) listed at the bottom of this wiki article like pmagic, etc :

https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Netboot

Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:04 am

I am requesting access to the apps(?) listed at the bottom of this wiki article like pmagic, etc :

https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Netboot

Thanks
See PM.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

dano5

Postby dano5 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:42 pm

room for another tester on ubuntu?

already got tftp and netboot up and running, tested memtest from some wiki/forum post here &
would like to test something a bit more advanced & see if this can keep my OCD in check :p

dano5

Postby dano5 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:46 am

App installer log after installing Amahi Netboot on a clean amahi install.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/5658612/