Fedora 14 alpha - seeking testers!

cpg
Administrator

Re: Fedora 14 alpha - seeking testers!

Postby cpg » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:58 pm

it may nto be your fault. somehow, when running amahi under virtualbox we see taht it occasionally loses the network configuration. (not sure why)
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

pjcrux

Postby pjcrux » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:14 pm

Everything seems to look good. I've installed every app I had with the exception of the some of the themes. Hit two issues with apps. For RPMFusion after installing I kept receiving a GPG key error. It seems that the install script has changed from f12 to f14 for RPM fusion.

From RPMFusion's website:

su -c 'yum localinstall --nogpgcheck http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fed ... noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/ ... noarch.rpm'

I know we do it by the RPM and not by the CLI method but this serves to illustrate the change. Previously the --nogpgcheck was not apart of the install and now it is present. Any RPM that we use from RPMfusion no longer will install and throw the GPG key error. This means that the apps we use have using the RPM fusion apps as a dep will also not work.

The second issue was "surprise" an error with MythTV. cp, When we get time and there isn't a pressing need for anything else I would like to revisit MythTV.

Other than that everything is A OK, new users are created no sweat and shares as well. I am able to change themes at will with no ill affects.

Please pardon my earlier attempt this past week. Due to a lack of sleep, stress from finals week still in my system, and a baby on the way I failed to notice that I was also replacing not only everything in /var/hda/files but /var and /root as well. Operating on minimal sleep and being highstrung are not two combinable elements under normal circumstances.

Merry Christmas!
Community Advocate
HP Proliant Micro Server N40L, AMD Turion II Neo x2 1.5GHz;
8GB ECC-DDR3; 250GB for OS, 3x1TB.

"Experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions"
-James Madison, Federalist Paper No. 51

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:28 pm

I have F 14 working on a i386 platform. I just picked up an HP dc5000 SFF with 1Gb memory; it is a P4 i686 platform (note I have F 12 running on a P4 i686 platform).

Anyway the Install presented the following on the install web page:

Activating your HDA's settings
33%
ERROR Retrieving install code ...
Retrieving install code ...
Install code looks good
Stopping background software updates ...
Background software updates stopped
Install code looks good
Stopping background software updates ...
Background software updates stopped
WARNING: rpm uninstall failed ... please run
rpm -e gnome-packagekit
by hand until it uninstalls correctly
WARNING: rpm uninstall failed ... please run
rpm -e setroubleshoot setroubleshoot-server setroubleshoot-plugins
by hand until it uninstalls correctly
Installing 4 packages ...
Installing 4 packages ...
RPM packages installed
Starting MySQL
Initializing MySQL
RPM packages installed
Starting MySQL
Initializing MySQL
Installing pluginfactory ...
Installing pluginfactory ...
Initializing Ruby on Rails and DB
Initializing Ruby on Rails and DB
Activating your HDA's settings
Initializing settings
Setting up watchdog monitor
reboot

========================================================

So the question is:

Is this a good or broken install?

There is one possiblity, now that I think about it. I used the f14/updates/i386 tree during the install. Going to have to pull down the i686 update tree and try again....

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:08 am

I have F 14 working on a i386 platform. I just picked up an HP dc5000 SFF with 1Gb memory; it is a P4 i686 platform (note I have F 12 running on a P4 i686 platform).
I have determined that this IS a i386 arch or whatever. Basically I am using the right updates.

My install included the updates, by providing the URL for the update repo. This is SUPPOSE to be equivalent to Fedora install then update then amani_installer.

Something does not seem right with then install. I did get all the addressing straight, but then that is a regular issue here for me. I don't run any /24 subnets, so I have lots of steps in fixing the addressing AFTER amahi_installer and before using setup.

One sign of things not right is after installing phpmyadmin, I could not access it; the DNS was not updated. I had to run hdactl to force the updating of the DNS. I am thinking of updating my hda-range script to allow for specific values, rather than only defaults THEN needing phpmyadmin to get the changes in...

Bottom line something is wrong here and if you can't figure it out from the messages above, tell me what else you need. I will be building a kickstart file so a reinstall is not hard.

kylereed

Postby kylereed » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:44 pm

I have installed the Alpaha on a machine I was intending to use WHN Vail on. Since they pulled the plug this looks like a great alternative. I went with the Alpha because Fedora 12 would not see my disk drives, 14 installed fine. I don't mind the Alpha because I haven't put this into "production" yet.
It's an older AMD 3000+ running 64bit Fedora 14, 2 gigs of RAM, 4 1TB Green drives. The root and home are on sda and the pool drives are on sdb, sdc and sdd.
Install went fine and so far all appears to be working, the bugs from previous posts don't seem to be an issue. I've copied about 700 gigs of data onto it so far with out a hitch. It did take about a day, 24 hours. It seems to be a little slower then previous OSs on the same equipment but, I'm thinking that withh the whole load of Fedora on there that it's not unusual?
Do I need to add the amahi repository to the yum config? I'm new to fedora but have allot of experience with Red Hat pre yum days.
Can I add apps now and how do you do that with the Alpha?
Thanks, great software.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:05 pm

Please see http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Fedora_14 for more info on Fedora 14. Note that it says there are NO apps available in the alpha release.

The current focus for testers should be to pound the platform hard to shake out any bugs. Once we get it stabilized, then applications will follow.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2