Damn Small Linux - no mouse

dogzrule

Damn Small Linux - no mouse

Postby dogzrule » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:05 pm

I have no mouse control after booting. Tried all the various drivers. Mouse is generic USB mouse.

Honestly as much as I would love to have a pxe-booting Linux distro to use, I think this needs to be simplified. I don't want all the menus and choices. I'd like to simply choose DSL from the pxe menu and have it boot unattended. Surely in 2010 this should not be rocket science.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Damn Small Linux - no mouse

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:00 pm

Not sure what the issue with the mouse not working. So far tests have been good. We will have to look into it.

As for not having all the choices in the menu, well that is not feasible in my opinion. The point of having a the capability to netboot should offer choices. Now, could we set one particular app to be the default and autoboot after so much time, sure that is doable. Problem is how to do that so any distro can be made the default.

If you want DSL to be your only choice and boot by default, you can edit the menu and make it work that way. We hope to have a front end to edit the menu in the future, but I'm afraid its not at the top of the list right now.

We are a small all volunteer community and are currently overwhelmed with several other high priority issues. If you would be interesting in helping come up with a good solution or app to edit this menu, that would be great. Please let us know.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

dogzrule

Postby dogzrule » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:34 pm

I guess I should have been clearer.

When I said booting without choices, I meant that when I select DSL from the netboot menu, I wanted DSL to fully boot without "playing 20 questions" every time.

What I look for in a live Linux is simplicity. The fewer choices the better for me. Plain vanilla. Generic as possible, "just work".

Maybe DSL is the wrong app for me. I was hoping Xpud would work but it won't even start X for me.

No worries, I know you're a small group, I don't expect miriacles. :> I was just reporting an issue. Amahi rocks.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:56 pm

Maybe I misunderstood. I didn't realize DSL asked a lot of questions....on my tests I choose one menu option and it boots. Nothing I had to do other than wait for it.

I will have to take another look at it...I am not a keen on that one. Have you tried Parted Magic? It is a nice one and has lots of basic linux stuff, KDE interface too.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

dogzrule

Postby dogzrule » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:28 pm

he he he

I really don't want to even install parted magic. Too dangerous to have on a working system (for me, ha ha). I run gparted live from a dedicated USB stick but with 5.5 TB on line I haven't had to use it in a while.

I was really looking for an idiot proof live linux with only very basic capabilities like web, media and solitaire with no ability to do damage.

Oh well. No worries, it was a hope. I posted a suggestion for XBMC elsewhere as a netboot app. That'd totally work for me too.