More volunteers needed: Mediatomb alpha

SolaR

Re: Volunteers needed: Mediatomb alpha

Postby SolaR » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

For sorting your media, MediaTomb supports custom scripting using JavaScript. For some examples, check here: http://mediatomb.cc/dokuwiki/scripting:scripting

Regarding the vob-files: I don't use vob-files so I don't know but I think you're looking in the right direction (the config.xml).
I know MediaTomb supports DVD-images (as of version 0.12) so it should be able to also use the vob-files.

Edit: you found the scripting examples already :D

chrisclaydon

Postby chrisclaydon » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:18 am

hi i would like to try mediatomb on my server

allanon09

Postby allanon09 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:48 pm

I would also like to try media tomb please.

Thank you!

SolaR

Postby SolaR » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:40 am

@chrisclaydon and allanon09: you're both added to the list.

Let me remind everybody that's added to the list:

I would like some feedback on the installation!
Did it install correctly, is the mediaserver working properly (e.g. serving any media, webUI working, etc)?

Configuration problems (mime-types, sorting of media, etc) are not within the scope of this test, but will be addressed when I can find the time ;) .

Edit: I think we have enough volunteers. Thanks to all!

chrisclaydon

Re: More volunteers needed: Mediatomb alpha

Postby chrisclaydon » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:29 pm

hi the install went well but i have noticed that after installing it i can no longer see the amahi dlna server or the media tomb servers on my windows 7 client but both appear on my ps3 over the next few days i wil be adding media i am particularly keen to find out how to add the ability to play dvd files (Vob)

chris

allanon09

Postby allanon09 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:20 pm

So far so good. The install went good. It showed up on my PS3 without any additional configuration (PS3 3.42 firmware).

On my server when restarting the mediatomb service through the web interface it would show offline until a manual refresh.

I went to add some directories and that is when my first issue came up. Not a single avi file was showing up. I went into the config.xml file and uncommented the following line:

Code: Select all

<!-- Uncomment the line below for PS3 divx support --> <!-- <map from="avi" to="video/divx"/> -->
to this

<!-- Uncomment the line below for PS3 divx support --> <map from="avi" to="video/divx"/>
and it picked up all my avi files.

My wife is watching the something on the PS3 so I will try out the streaming and see if I can get transcoding working too.

SolaR

Postby SolaR » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:30 pm

hi the install went well but i have noticed that after installing it i can no longer see the amahi dlna server or the media tomb servers on my windows 7 client but both appear on my ps3 over the next few days i wil be adding media i am particularly keen to find out how to add the ability to play dvd files (Vob)

chris
I've heard some problems about mediatomb not showing up or not streaming media when 2 mediaservers are running on the same machine. That might be why it's not showing up on your Win7 client.

For using a PS3 look at the post above. Most UPnP clients are picky about the mime-types the server presents them. For instance, I had to change the config for avi-files to

<map from="avi" to="video/x-ms-avi"/>

for my TV to play the files.

chrisclaydon

Postby chrisclaydon » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:37 am

hi i have a problem i can not find a directory called mediatomb with a file called config.xml any clues would be appreciated
chris

SolaR

Postby SolaR » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:48 am

The config.xml is located in

/etc/mediatomb/
There is also a

/etc/mediatomb.conf
but that holds some global properties of the daemon (e.g. which nic to use, etc).

chrisclaydon

Postby chrisclaydon » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:49 am

thanks for that now to attempt to get the vob files in my dvd copies to play