Coppermine: Some comments

ppmt

Coppermine: Some comments

Postby ppmt » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:19 pm

Here are my first comments after installing. Keep in mind that to stay in touch with the "One Click install" I expect
to have as little to do to be able to start.

If my comments are unrealistic please say so
*The URL for the gallery is pointing to coppermine.home.com. Would be better if it pointed to coppermine +domain (which is not necessarily home.com)

* FIXED. The Gallery name and Gallery are incorrect and require to be updated...Why not setting them to something like "Amahi PersonalGallery"

* Can't change the email address of the admin users in the user profile. it keeps coming back to the default "admin@yourisp.com". This needs to be changeable and default should make sense (like using the email used to create the Amahi account?)

Now I will go about creating albums and categories and put pictures in :)
Last edited by ppmt on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Coppermine: Some comments

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:30 pm

Corrected the URL to reflect http://coppermine without the domain name. Also changed the title and description to be meaningful.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ppmt

Postby ppmt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:15 am

as mentionned on the IRC....

http://coppermine is not good enough for the app and throw me an error saying that the url is incorrect

Can you not get the domain from somewhere and append it in the database?

ppmt

Postby ppmt » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:55 pm

right some more comments!

I have found some time last week-end to test a bit better.

Here is what I did:

1/ several installation /deinstallation : It always worked.

2/ Creating an album (with no photo) and then deinstalled followed by reinstallation: album was gone.

3/ Have been going through the different menu to test them ( not all of them as there is too many) . All worked fine

So that was the positive stuff now the not so good :(

4/ When you create an album and put some photos in it. the size of the thumbnail is wrong and they appear very big. I will try to put pictures if I can
It is possible to fix it though. You need to go to config for the Thumbnail view and set the max size parameter to 100 (rather than 128)
Then the thumbnail is displayed correctly. I don't know why it is like that may be a bug in Coppermine but it works well on my main website :(
Might be worse trying that you set the value of Max size to 100 and then I can try to reinstall.

5/ I activated the Captcha (for comments) and basically it is not usable. The image is unreadable ( as in the the letter all appears on top of each other!)
I suspect it is because of a library used by coppermine that is not existing for the plug....my be?

6/ The batch upload function is not usable. I can upload a directory containing photos to /var/hda/web-app/coppermine/html/albums. I can then an select the photos
in that new directory but then coppermine complains that the permission settings are worn and should be set to either 755 or 777
There is 2 solution to fix that. Either you give 777 to th directory and its file (755 is not enough) or you change the owner to apache/users
Then it works but it is not practical and means you need to use the terminal. Is it possible to set the permission for all new directory to 777?

The other method to upload pictures works really well so it could be the workaround but I really like the batch upload function.

So here I am. It is usable but the point 4 and 6 are quite blocking for an easy use.

I am not sure what kind of tests were done on other platform so t could be plug's issues only...

Le me know if I should write bugs for them or not

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:12 am

Hello,

All good stuff. I will take a look at the app and see what I can sort out. Some of the probs might be easily fixed.

I wonder if these problems exist on a normal Amahi install or if its just specific to the plug. More to follow.

Update: I found the setting for the thumbs and changed them to 100x100. I also modified the permissions on the albums folder to 777. Try again and lets see if that helps.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ppmt

Postby ppmt » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:51 pm

ok some update on my points above

4/ Bigfoot set it to 100x100 and now the thumbnail are displaying fine!

5/ the captcha is still not working for me. I checked coppermine forum and all that I need to run it is installed properly so not sure why it fails
Would be nice to test it under a non plug platform.

6/ This also can be considered fixed. It is necessary to manually change the permission to 777 for the directory uploaded and 666 for the files in it or it won't work...Coppermine forums indicates that there is not way around it

So the last thing for me is the captcha. As it stands it is not usable and would need to be disable in the config at installation.

ppmt

Postby ppmt » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:54 pm

After discussing with Bigfoot it looks like the problem with the captcha is a plug issue as on a Intel/AMD based system
the captcha is working fine

I checked the prereq for captcha and what is needed is GD version which is here and it needs to have freetype which it also has.

So I am not sure and someone else will need to look into it.

Apart from that I would say that Coppermine is working on my plug :)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:11 am

I have not tried yet on my plug. I will add it to my to do list and see if I can reproduce the issue. Maybe it's something simple we can manipulate to make it work.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager