Ubuntu install report

ghstryder

Ubuntu install report

Postby ghstryder » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:44 am

I thought I would post my Ubuntu experience here. Feel free to move it if it wants to be somewhere else.

The Ubuntu install was largely uneventful. I added the Amahi repo, then updated and installed the two programs with Synaptic. That part of the installation was fine. I believe there were 145 packages installed.

When I rebooted and attempted to install Amahi, I was met with 'can't find localhost". Fortunately for me, cpg was in irc and saved me countless minutes digging for a solution. Note to myself "those are Amahi instructions, not Fedora instructions". Yes, of course restarting the service got me on my way, just as it did the last time it happened. Rigid, linear thinking will bite you every time.

That out of the way, the installation proceeded. I was met with two a couple of dialog boxes, one suggesting I put in a root password for the mysql server and a second one asking if I wanted to configure hddtemp to start on boot. That seemed reasonable, so I clicked the box and went on.

After waiting for a while (slow machine), things appeared to be complete. Or not... a rather long dialog box popped up reporting success, success, warning, failure... <http://paste.amahi.org/f75d29654.

I went after the first error. It suggested I try a manual install of one of the ruby files, repeating until it installed. No joy, it did not seem happy with the package name. http://paste.amahi.org/d6e50c3c7. I stopped at that point, since it was late.

Cale 250 was online, so he saw this more or less in real time. He may have had a chance to look at the errors by now.

cale250

Re: Ubuntu

Postby cale250 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:48 am

I've patched the problem (the racc package was renamed) and it should work fine now. Use Synaptic to upgrade the hdactl package. :D

ghstryder

Re: Ubuntu

Postby ghstryder » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:12 am

I've patched the problem (the racc package was renamed) and it should work fine now. Use Synaptic to upgrade the hdactl package. :D
Excellent. I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.

ghstryder

Re: Ubuntu install report

Postby ghstryder » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:23 pm

Okay, I updated the hdactl package and tried again.

This time, the installer worked with http://localhost:2000.

There are still errors, but they are past the point where yesterdays errors occurred, so we (you) have made progress.

Install Report: http://paste.amahi.org/f6b2e33c4

Results of manual install: http://paste.amahi.org/f1e761910

Ghst

cale250

Postby cale250 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:19 pm

I've patched again :P . It may be an hour from this post time though before it gets published to the PPA.

ghstryder

Postby ghstryder » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:04 pm

3rd time was a charm. All the way through with no errors.

I turned off dchp in the router and rebooted. It is not detecting the network.

Ghst

cale250

Postby cale250 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:15 pm

We've been having issues with bind and dhcp3, as seen at bug 537, reported by cpg. Is ubuntu reporting that it has two NICs?

Also, could you clarify by what you mean by no network access?

ghstryder

Postby ghstryder » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:39 am

We've been having issues with bind and dhcp3, as seen at bug 537, reported by cpg. Is ubuntu reporting that it has two NICs?

Also, could you clarify by what you mean by no network access?
Ubuntu shows one NIC, as eth0.
Up until a couple of weeks ago, this was a Server 2003 machine with two NICS. The cable is plugged into the first one, which 3 Linux installs saw as eth0. The second NIC did not have a network cable plugged in.
I took the second one out *after* I did the Ubuntu install, just in case it was creating a problem (note that both a standard Fedora install and express install worked without issues).

I said no network connection - which is exactly what Ubuntu reports.
I can duplicate the condition by unplugging the ethernet cable. In this condition, it does not provide much info. Ifconfig runs and looks normal, with the exception of one missing line - the IP, etc.

Ok, heading off to work. I'm about 12 hours from being in front of the machine again.

Ghst

cale250

Postby cale250 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:42 am

There's a chance that the hdactl service didn't start correctly. You may want to try a restart. If that still doesn't work, could you post the contents of /etc/network/interfaces and /var/log/daemon.log?

ghstryder

Postby ghstryder » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:05 am

There's a chance that the hdactl service didn't start correctly. You may want to try a restart. If that still doesn't work, could you post the contents of /etc/network/interfaces and /var/log/daemon.log?
I'll give it a shot tonight and report. Thanks!

Ghst