CLOSED: Unable to browse HDA or mount shares after connect via IPsec

danielgreenstein

CLOSED: Unable to browse HDA or mount shares after connect via IPsec

Postby danielgreenstein » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:57 am

I'm running Amahi 10 atop Fedora 25 with IPsec installed and configured. I've forwarded the two necessary ports on my router. I'm able to connect via built-in VPN clients on both OSX and iOS devices. I am however, unable to mount shares for visit the any of the websites available on my hda when connected on my local network (such as ipsec-vpn.YOURHDANAME.com).

How can I mount my Amahi shares on my OSX computer while connected remotely by VPN?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Unable to browse HDA or mount shares after connect via IPsec

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:08 am

Did you use the ipsec-vpn App?

When you use VPN it’s as if you’re on your network.

Access apps using the same method as when your home. As for shares it should work the same. Might try using the IP address of your network.

yourhda.com is meant for using apps outside your network without VPN. If you don’t understand the purpose of using VPN, suggest you check out the internet for more info.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

danielgreenstein

Postby danielgreenstein » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:39 pm

I installed the IPSec-VPN app after paying for it on the Amahi website. I setup my OSX client with the Group and secret code obtained from the IPSec-VPN webpage served locally on the HDA after app install. I connected to the HDA from a public internet connection via the OSX built-in Cisco client. I received a message that I was connected. I was unable to mount the shares even when using the local IP address of the HDA. I furthermore was unable to use any of the Amahi apps accessed through the local URL of the HDA.

I understand that the address USERNAME.yourhda.com is used to access the HDA without VPN. I furthermore understand that once connected through the VPN should be able to mount shares and browse the webpages on the HDA as if I was connected to the LAN.

I made this initial post as I was unable to access any data on the HDA remotely while being connected via VPN.

Further update, while I was waiting for a reply to my initial post, I removed and reinstalled the IPSec VPN app. After install I am unable to access the webpage with the Group Name and Secret code to allow me to setup a client.

Any idea how I may 1) access the webpage with the Group name and secret code and 2) what the issue may be in accessing shares after connected via VPN?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:20 pm

To begin with ipsec-vpn App is not LIVE for Amahi 10. Note the status of Fedora 25 on the lower right of the page. That likely indicates the app is broke and will not work properly.

Before purchasing apps, best you verify if it’s LIVE for the Amahi version you have installed. Unfortunately that doesn’t help your current situation.

Recommend you submit a bug report. To be honest, it may be a while before it can be worked. Not much I can do to help until the app is fixed.

Request you email support if you want a refund. You might want to try the openvpn App instead.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

danielgreenstein

Postby danielgreenstein » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:53 am

Thank you for the assistance. I installed OpenVPN and was able to connect via the Windows Client.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:40 am

Glad it's working for you.

I presume we can mark this topic as closed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager