DoS attack and port forwarding for OpenVPN

aksm

DoS attack and port forwarding for OpenVPN

Postby aksm » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:09 pm

I'm trying to set up port forwarding on a Netgear C3000-100NAS combo modem/router with TWC/Spectrum as ISP and not having much luck. Anyway, I noticed port 1194 being accessed in the Netgear's logs, but I don't think it was me:

And it's odd because I've been checking the port on various port-checking websites, and it always shows as closed. I searched the ip, and it seems like a suspicious one out of China. Should I be worried? Is there anything I should do about it?

cpg
Administrator

Re: DoS attack and port forwarding for OpenVPN

Postby cpg » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:28 pm

Yes, port scanning from various parts of the world happens all the time, sadly. Just make sure you have strong passwords and no other ports open. The likelihood that they come in is small, because most login programs (including our IpSec VPN , not sure about OpenVPN), limit the amount of unsuccessful logins per unit of time, so that helps.

BTW, this is not a Denial of Service. That would be when someone tried so hard from so many places that prevent you from using it (hence the denial).
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1