OpenVPN Authorisation Failed

Camperdownfamily

OpenVPN Authorisation Failed

Postby Camperdownfamily » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:03 am

I have just installed OpenVPN on my Amahi server, and the VPN tester on Amahi.org is showing it as running.

I have opened the correct port on my router, and downloaded the OpenVPN client onto my Windows 10 PC. I am testing it from work, so I am connecting from outside my home network on a completely different IP address range.

The log that shows when I try to connect the client to my server appears to show a connection, but then says authorisation has failed as follows:

Wed Oct 26 12:53:59 2016 SENT CONTROL [server]: 'PUSH_REQUEST' (status=1)
Wed Oct 26 12:53:59 2016 AUTH: Received AUTH_FAILED control message
Wed Oct 26 12:53:59 2016 TCP/UDP: Closing socket
Wed Oct 26 12:53:59 2016 SIGTERM[soft,auth-failure] received, process exiting

I have tried my username for my home server, my admin login and even my login for the Amahi.org web console, but all of them reject and ask me to re-enter my username and password. Do I have to authorise certain users to be allowed to connect remotely via VPN or is there something I am missing here?

Any advice appreciated.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: OpenVPN Authorisation Failed

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:57 am

I have opened the correct port on my router, and downloaded the OpenVPN client onto my Windows 10 PC. I am testing it from work, so I am connecting from outside my home network on a completely different IP address range.
Did you install the HDA Connect software? Ref OpenVPN client page.

Have you checked the OpenVPN troubleshooter wiki page?

Also the OpenVPN config wiki page might help. The Amahi wiki is our primary source of documentation for the HDA.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Camperdownfamily

Postby Camperdownfamily » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:12 am

Thank you for getting back to me.

In response to the three questions you raise:

1. Yes I installed the HDA Connect software
2. Yes I have gone through the trouble shooter page, but it only addresses failure to connect - as far as I can see I am managing to connect but not getting either my username or password accepted, which it doesn't cover.
3. The config page, unless I am missing something, only explains how to connect if you don't want to use the HDA Connect software, which I am keen to use.

Do you know when it asks for the username and password, which username and password you have to use? I ask because I was caught out with this before on AmahiAnywhere, where only the admin password works, and non-admin users can't connect through it. With OpenVPN I have tried both normal user username and passwords and also the admin username and password, but neither works, so I am wondering if it is something else?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:25 am

Do you know when it asks for the username and password, which username and password you have to use?
The user name and password should be your HDA first admin user I believe.

Also there could be a firewall at your client location that is preventing connection.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Camperdownfamily

Postby Camperdownfamily » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:07 am

I only posted an excerpt from the log which the HDAConnect client produces, above.

Would more detail from that help pinpoint the problem?

As far as I can see the connection is made ok, and it is rejecting the username or the password, but it could be something else that is failing, but being presented as an authentication error. I do have a firewall on my router, but surely I don't want to disable that?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:39 am

Would more detail from that help pinpoint the problem?
It might help.
I do have a firewall on my router, but surely I don't want to disable that?
No I mean a firewall where you work that is preventing traffic. ISP could be blocking port 1194 too.

Did you follow the VPN Windows wiki guidance.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

Camperdownfamily

Postby Camperdownfamily » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:50 am

OK - good news - I've got connected. For some reason, even though I put capital letters in my username when I created it, and I put capital letters in my username when I logon as administrator at home, logging in through HDAConnect only worked when I put my whole username into lowercase letters.

Now's the bit where I show my ignorance. I have three, probably very basic, questions:

1. I have HDAConnect connected, but how do I access the shared files on my Amahi Server? I have been connected as 10.8.0.6. I tried going into Windows Explorer and typing \\HDA into the address bar, but that brought up nothing. I tried typing in 10.8.0.1 which opened up a browser window and loaded the Amahi Administrators login page from the server, so I can now remotely administer the server, but how do I access the shared files?

2. Each of the children and my wife have a login on the Amahi HDA, but they all have different access rights. They also each have laptops, so I would like to setup the VPN on the laptops so they can access the HDA from school / work / friends, etc. How do I set up HDAConnect so they can use their usernames to connect to the server, without making them administrators?

3. Can I make HDAConnect automatically connect to the HDA as soon as I have a live internet connection, so that everywhere I am I seamlessly have access to my HDA?

Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:54 am

1. I have HDAConnect connected, but how do I access the shared files on my Amahi Server?
Good to hear you got connected. I don't recommend using upper case or mixed case in user names.

Check out the shares troubleshooting wiki page.
How do I set up HDAConnect so they can use their usernames to connect to the server, without making them administrators?
If being an administrator is a requirement, then there is no option that I am aware. Request you submit a bug report for this one.
3. Can I make HDAConnect automatically connect to the HDA as soon as I have a live internet connection, so that everywhere I am I seamlessly have access to my HDA?
There may be a program you can install on your client machine, but nothing provided or supported by Amahi.

Also for security reasons, it's not wise to have an autologin to your HDA.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

Camperdownfamily

Postby Camperdownfamily » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:43 am

I'm sorry but I have looked through the "shares troubleshooting" wiki page, but that appears to relate to connecting to the server when you are inside your home network.

My pc is running Windows 7, and I have noticed that although the HDAConnect Icon turns green and the log appears to show that everything is connected, the Network and Sharing Center shows an 'Unidentified network' connection. My experience is that until it shows the network connection by a specific name and identifies if it is a home, work or public network connection, Windows does not allow access to it.

Anyone know how to get Windows 7 to recognise the connection?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:22 pm

Try searching the internet. It's likely something with the Windows Firewall that might be causing issues.

Also my point in the wiki page was sometimes you have to use the fully qualified Domain Name (FQDN) to access the HDA and shares outside the network. For example, \\hda.amahi.net. Obviously if you have a different domain name you would substitute it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager