OpenVPN problems

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: OpenVPN problems

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:16 pm

I really don't have the resources to verify whether this is correct, so maybe you could help me out a bit.
Try searching the internet for help on your router or the vendor's site for the instruction manual.
my home network consists of 3 routers (one master and two slaves; the slaves connected LAN-LAN to the master with DHCP turned off). And yes, I have one subnet set up on the master router.
That could be your issue. Would be best if you could only have one router connected while diagnosing this problem. There may be a firewall or something related with multiple routers that is preventing the OpenVPN connection.

Have you tried searching the internet for a similar setup and potential solution? This is not a standard network setup, so our support is limited.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Pratyay67

Postby Pratyay67 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:15 pm

Well, I unplugged both the slave routers.
I couldn't properly change the 1194 to 443 earlier.
Now I did it both on the HDA and client side; changed 1194/UDP tp 443/TCP.
Then I tried again, still getting to the same scenario as described earlier.

The log stops at the same line, this time at (my external IP) : 443 TCP.

The scenario is exactly similar to what described in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5846

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:37 am

Oh one more thing to try:

Code: Select all

systemctl status firewalld
If it shows running, then do:

Code: Select all

systemctl stop firewalld systemctl disable firewalld systemctl stop rolekit systemctl disable rolekit
If it's not that, then I am at a loss as to what is causing your issue.

Only thing I can guess is your ISP is somehow blocking access or it's your router preventing it.

Were you able to research the instructions for your router?

If you need further assistance, request you submit a bug report.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Pratyay67

Postby Pratyay67 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:29 am

I did some digging and came up with some new information regarding my internet connection.

What my ISP does is they NAT all the end-users. When I run whatsmyIP, it returns an IP address which is a public IP ( I ran just minutes ago, and it returned 45.64...., that's a public one I guess ). But, the IP address on the WAN port of my router is 172.20..., which falls in the private IP block, doesn't it ?
A local IT guy told me that if I'm on a private IP, I'll not be able to VPN into my private network, because the connection will not have a specific address to look into.

Is really that the case?
Please advice.