NeoRouter Server Running on Amahi

WiFiNetGuy

NeoRouter Server Running on Amahi

Postby WiFiNetGuy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:48 am

Hi, all.

I just wanted to start this thread in case anyone else was interested. I installed NeoRouter Server on my v7 HDA and it's running like a champ. In case you're not familiar with NeoRouter (http://neorouter.com), it's a (from the website) "Ideal Remote Access & VPN Solution.
Access and manage your computers anytime from anywhere, any device". If you ever used LogMeIn Hamachi VPN, which pretty much did away with their free version, this is very similar. Except for home users it's free. And you can have up to 256 client computers on the free version. They have installation for Windows, Mac, Linux, FreeBSD, iPads and OpenWrt on a router. I've got the server running on my HDA with clients running on Mac and Ubuntu laptops and iPad. You can use it to securely remotely access another client with VNC or RDC, access shared folders, SSH into another client, etc.

Anyway, I'm in no way connected to NeoRouter except as a user. This isn't a commercial but thought it might be helpful to know that it works, and works well. I will be continuing to test it and will report any other findings.

I've created a Wiki page for "NeoRouter".

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: NeoRouter Server Running on Amahi

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:29 pm

Thanks for adding NeoRouter guidance to the wiki. I have a few questions though:

1. Amahi 7 is Fedora 19, not CentOS. Did you install this on Amahi?

2. Did you download the CentOS RPM or is there one for Fedora 19?

3. Why create a new user when ones already exist for the HDA?

4. If this is Amahi 7, firewall is disabled. The step to add the firewall rule would not be needed.

I am happy to make the updates to the wiki, but wanted to clarify. The guidance in the Amahi wiki needs to be specific to an Amahi version.

UPDATE: I did make some minor formatting changes. The guidance will need updated based on the answers to my questions above.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

WiFiNetGuy

Postby WiFiNetGuy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:07 am

Oops! You're right....here's the answers to your questions:

1 - No, it's Fedora 19. I was brain-dead at the time of my writing the Wiki.
2 - I downloaded the CentOS RPM. I think that is reflected in the example link (that's exactly the one I downloaded).
3 - I only put it there for demonstration. Also, the users on the HDA don't have to coinside(sp?) with the users on NeoRouter. But they probably should for consistency and to reduce the possibility of confusion.
4 - I know. But I only put it there in case anyone has the firewall running. If I remember correctly, I marked it "optional".

Sorry about that.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:45 pm

Thanks for the quick response.

I will update the wiki accordingly. I don't think it's necessary to add the new users, so will make that optional at the bottom. The main point of this guidance is how to install the software and use it. Not a good idea to mix CentOS and Fedora though. I will change that piece as well.

We might consider making this an Amahi application. That would make it even easier for install.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2