OpenVPN status working, but won't connect on Android

eaglehome

OpenVPN status working, but won't connect on Android

Postby eaglehome » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:47 pm

Hello,

I have my OpenVPN set up and also have it port-forwarded to the server's local address properly.
I also have the green light from control panel letting me know that OpenVPN is working correctly.

Then I downloaded the OpenVPN android app, and I followed the wiki instructions from here:
https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/VPNAndroid

I downloaded the 3 files (the two certs and the key file) and I set everything up correctly in the app. But upon trying to connect I get "reconnecting tls-error protecting socket fd 4" and then it fails every time.

I then decided to try a different app, and tried the "OpenVPN Connect" (official app) and it requires a .opvn profile and I have no idea how to make that.

Also when outside my lan network, if I enter my dynamic dns url (*.yourhda.com) into a browser, it fails to connect to anything. But again, my openvpn status is green. From inside my lan if I enter the dynamic dns it takes me straight to my router conig page and not to the server login like I would expect. And im 100% I have port 1194 forwarded to the server ip address.

Any ideas?
Thanks

EDIT:
Ok I figured out how to make a .opvn profile and using the official OpenVPN app with my .ovpn profile it now connects fine on my android. Then I opened the amahi app and clicked on a couple pictures from my amahi server and they loaded fine on Amahi app. Then I went to click another picture and it wouldn't load, and now nothing is loading from within the amahi app anymore. I can see all of my directories from the server and all the file links, but when I click on a file it just shows the loading icon forever. If I click the share button and download the file to the phone, it downloads perfectly fine. So it seems as though the amahi app is for some reason not wanting to display the file even though it has access to it.

Also, is there and app that would allow me to upload files from android devices to my server? If I take a photo that I really like and want to save it remotely to my server from my android. It looks like the Amahi app only allows you to view and download files, but not upload.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: OpenVPN status working, but won't connect on Android

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:51 pm

I have used the OpenVPN for Android for years with no issues. What version of Android are you using? Have you double checked your setup with the wiki steps to ensure you did not miss anything?

If you are using Android 4.0 or greater, the VPN app is not needed. You can use the integrated VPN client that is included in the OS.

This has been the best app for me with the best success. I would recommend you stick with it and try to resolve the issues. You can also check the internet for help on the error. You would not be the first one who had the problem I would imagine.

As for uploading files to the server remotely, I would think using the VPN would be the best option. There may be some Android apps that you could try that might work. I personally use Dropbox and Amazon Cloud for photos as they work easily. I then sync photos to my server via my nightly backups.

Hope this helps.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

eaglehome

Postby eaglehome » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:38 am

I have used the OpenVPN for Android for years with no issues. What version of Android are you using? Have you double checked your setup with the wiki steps to ensure you did not miss anything?

If you are using Android 4.0 or greater, the VPN app is not needed. You can use the integrated VPN client that is included in the OS.

This has been the best app for me with the best success. I would recommend you stick with it and try to resolve the issues. You can also check the internet for help on the error. You would not be the first one who had the problem I would imagine.

As for uploading files to the server remotely, I would think using the VPN would be the best option. There may be some Android apps that you could try that might work. I personally use Dropbox and Amazon Cloud for photos as they work easily. I then sync photos to my server via my nightly backups.

Hope this helps.

Im running 4.4.2,
I tried to play around with the vpn settings from within the android settings, but I wasn't sure which type of vpn to use? (OpenVPN isn't on there)
There is PPTP,L2TP/IPSec PSK, RSA, IPSec Xauth PSK, RSA and Hybrid RSA.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:54 am

That's right. Forgot about that part. We do have an IPSec VPN app which works good with it. There is also some IPSEC/L2TP VPN Server wiki guidance for doing a manual setup. Although it's for Fedora 14, I believe it's still valid.

Running 4.4.2, the OpenVPN should work. Maybe there is some setting that needs adjusted. I will have to check my settings to see if there is anything I can pass along.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

eaglehome

Postby eaglehome » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:22 am

Ok, well I got it connected with the official OpenVPN connect app. I haven't been able to get it to connect with the native android settings yet though...

Although now im having another problem,
I can connect from my phone with no problems. I still have the green light on my vpn status. Then I went to my parents house and used the HDA Connect windows program on their computer to connect to my VPN and it says that it connected fine. The "A" icon is green. But I cannot get to my HDA. I have entered my domain dns in the browser, my home public ip address, and the server local ip address. I also tried to ping the internal server ip address, and my home public ip address and all pings fail even though im connected to the vpn just fine and it also works just fine on my phone.

What could be the problem?

EDIT:
Ill also add that my parents home network is not the same local addressing either. I actually have them on a 172.xxx network vs my home network on 198.xxx. Also I was able to connect their android tablet on their wifi to my OpenVPN and to my HDA and access files. So im not sure why their windows machine is connecting to the vpn but not allowing access to the HDA

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:28 pm

This could be a firewall issue. Recommend you check the logs for the HDA Connect app. Often using this app you have to enter http://hda.domain.com. Replacing domain.com with whatever domain you chose for your HDA.

EDIT: If the original problem is solved, please close this thread and start a new one for the HDA Connect problem.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager