configuring a VPN for use with transmission

nmarshall

configuring a VPN for use with transmission

Postby nmarshall » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:56 pm

New Amahi user here. I've seen many online articles, forum posts, etc. that advocate installing the transmission app in order to delegate torrenting to your home server, thereby freeing up your personal machine(s). As great as that sounds, I'm a bit confused and concerned by the risks associated with doing this and haven't seen any mention of this anywhere.

Is my server's activity as visible to prying eyes as say my laptop's IP address would be if I were torrenting on my home network? I would assume the server would still be vulnerable since everything is operating on the same network, but maybe there's some security feature bundled into the Amahi software? The VPN app (OpenVPN, for example) doesn't mask your activity, correct?

I use private internet access whenever I use transmission on my laptop, so is there perhaps any way to configure PIA with OpenVPN on my home server? Those of you who use transmission and CouchPotato (for example), are you simply assuming the associated risks with torrenting or is there some configurable anonymity feature I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

lvibe

Re: configuring a VPN for use with transmission

Postby lvibe » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:44 pm

Has anyone been able to provide info on this?

jtoone

Postby jtoone » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:29 pm

I use privateinternetaccess.com for my personal VPN needs. You can search their site on how to install their client on your server and use the VPN. You do need a GUI to set it up initially. You might be able to do it thru the CLI, but I'm not that good and usually Me+CLI=Fedora/Amahi reinstall time.

cav

Postby cav » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:02 pm

Three years after OP, just confirming that the 2nd commenter's solution worked for me. Here are the instructions to install PIA on Linux using the command line: https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess. ... A-on-Linux