RESOLVED: VERY VERY CONFUSED .COM

Strata700

RESOLVED: VERY VERY CONFUSED .COM

Postby Strata700 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:33 pm

I have put this question in "VPN" because I am totally confused about accessing my HDA from outside my home although I have established successful VPN connection from my Andoid Galaxy S3 and from a windows client (HDA-Client) in a relatives home. Which was difficult enough on the S3.

Why am I confused

1) I do not understand the nuances of initial connection and url application.
2) I do not understand whether my HDA "out of the box" can serve me files (photos, docs, music) to me when I am remotely connected.
3) I am trying to establish whether I should use 'adito' which appears to be a full blown server solution installed in the HDA (which I bought this afternoon) OR use 'ownCloud6' and whether or not I use the ipsec (not currently) Open V{PN for android (connects but dont know how to browse) OR the HDA client on windows.

What I want to achieve (because a phone screen is too cumbersome for me) is access via someone else's windows machine or my own windows laptop (I would take away with me) a folder representation of my HDA files and then be able to download to the remote client anything I choose. In particular pictures when visiting Family.

INFO

I am running amahi 7 & my clients will be Win7

Please can someone explain why my username@your hda.com gets me my control panel login and not a file browser.
Is logging into the control panel necessary to see my files (with an Amahi out of the box config) because there is no 'real server'
Am I being stupid & really missing some totally obvious commands as a remote user that I should be using.

As I am such a novice at remote usage perhaps this should be in the newbies area , however the complexity it seems is really vpn and server related.

help pleeeeeeeease :|

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: VERY VERY CONFUSED .COM

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:35 am

There is no file browser built into Amahi by default. For remotely accessing your files, you might consider trying Amahi Anywhere for Android and iOS.
http://www.amahi.org/apps/amahi-anywhere

If you need to use another device, such as a PC, then you will need to either VPN into your network and use the client file manager or install a File Browsing application from the Amahi store. It will also require additional setup to work.
https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Hosting_a_website
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Strata700

Re: VERY VERY CONFUSED .COM (CLOSED)

Postby Strata700 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:11 am

Thanks for your response. I hadn't ignored your earlier suggestions about 'Amahi Anywhere' but after joining I-Tunes which I didn't particularly want to do I still couldn't seem to find my way to the client app - I dont know why this was the case. So really no joy there. Maybe that's because I don't have Apple gadgetry and the site doesn't recognise me as a 'valid' user...... I don't know. So l am not pursuing that line.

Can I clarify 'File Browsing' ? The only way I can see files remotely seems to be via a web browser I am using 'Firefox' and for example logging into the web front page of 'adito' to retrieve my files after separately establishing the VPN connection with either 'Open-VPN' ffrom my Andoid S3 or HDA3 connect from my Windows Laptop. . I was expecting but don't know the mechanism of being able to see a "windows explorer" type presentation after making my VPN connection.

The result is I can get at my files but got a bit 'dizzy' so to speak getting there.

Consider the topic closed and I'll do some more 'homework' :-)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: VERY VERY CONFUSED .COM

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:44 pm

Glad to help. As for accessing files with clients via a file browser, you can do that via VPN. For example, I can VPN with my phone using ES Explorer and access my files.

I can also use the Windows file browser as well to do the same thing. You can install HDA Connect on a Windows client and access all your files as well which uses VPN technology.

https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/VPNWindows
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2