SOLVED: Print to network printer over VPN

MeasureTech

SOLVED: Print to network printer over VPN

Postby MeasureTech » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:32 pm

I have a printer on my network that I wirelessly print to from my laptop. I have the drivers installed on my laptop. So when I try to print to this printer from my laptop when connected through VPN (using openVPN) the print doesn't take place it just sits there in queue.

Is it possible to do what I'm trying to do? Are there extra steps I need to take?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Print to network printer over VPN

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:09 am

Not sure. This one may require some research on the internet. How is the printer connected on your client, IP addrress or URL? If it's URL, then use the fully qualified name, i.e. printer.hda.net.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

MeasureTech

Postby MeasureTech » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:59 pm

Not sure. This one may require some research on the internet. How is the printer connected on your client, IP addrress or URL? If it's URL, then use the fully qualified name, i.e. printer.hda.net.
I believe it would be considered via IP address. Yeah, I think I will have to do some research on this. From my understanding, this really has nothing to do with the server so it's purely a VPN/openVPN "issue".

MeasureTech

Postby MeasureTech » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:57 pm

While connected to the network over VPN, I re-added the printer through the Windows wizard and for some reason it worked. It's been consistently working for a week or so. I'm not sure what the exact solution was but that worked for me.