VPN Speed

MeasureTech

VPN Speed

Postby MeasureTech » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:49 pm

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to servers but have been using Amahi for a few months and have been happy with it! I've transitioned to using it for a small business (3-4 users).

Anyways, my problem is that VPN via openVPN is very slow. For example, when transferring a file to the server I get about 120 KB/sec. Opening a 70 KB Word file takes ~25 seconds.

I have the server running on a Dell computer I had available:

http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-vostr ... ome/specs/

The ISP at work where the network is installed is AT&T Uverse where we get 3 Mbps down, 0.5 up (can be upgraded to higher speed if that will help). At home, approx. 20 miles away, I have Time Warner and get 16 Mbps down, 1.2 Mbps up.

So my question is, what I can I do to get better speed through VPN? Any thoughts? I'm willing to invest some money to upgrade hardware (e.g. faster processor?) if that will help but I am not sure where to start.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: VPN Speed

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:04 am

I would say it's your AT&T DSL speed that is slowing things down. By today's standard, that is slow and not much faster than a 56k modem LOL
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

MeasureTech

Re: VPN Speed

Postby MeasureTech » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:30 am

Yeah, that what was my first thought. :cry: Damn you, AT&T!

I can double it to 6 Mbps for only $5 extra/month and get it up to 18 Mbps for an extra $15/month. I'll probably try that and see how that affects performance.

I haven't really seen other people on the forums complaining about VPN speed so I'm guessing it is something on my end.

Thanks! If anyone else has other suggestions, please let me know.