Hamachi Logmein (ISP NAT Work Around)

rochellle

Hamachi Logmein (ISP NAT Work Around)

Postby rochellle » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:22 pm

This is a journal of what I did to install Hamachi Logmein onto my Amahi 7.1 (Fedora 19 Build). This is a VPN work around for those who cannot open ports, port forward, or have NAT problems.

(Background: I am an Expat who lives in a large apartment building in China, so I had a host of problems trying to figure out VPN to my Amahi HDA. In short, I am behind a switch and a router, and then my router in my apartment building. I am also unable to ask my building IT, or ISP to port forward as they say they can't because of the invisible hand of Chinese Internet Regulation. So, I gave Hamachi Logmein a try, to some relative success.)

***** Guide Begins *****

1. create an account at https://accounts.logme.in/registration.aspx
2. SSH into your HDA
3. We need to install LSB 3.0 from RedHat.

Code: Select all

su -c "yum install redhat-lsb"
4. Next we need to grab the Hamachi Client from the Logmein Beta Labs here

wget https://secure.logmein.com/labs/logmein-hamachi-2.1.0.119-1.x86_64.rpm
5. Compile the client with rpm

rpm -i logmein-hamachi-2.1.0.119-1.x86_64.rpm
6. reload the daemon for good measure

systemctl daemon-reload
7. connect Our HDA Hamachi to the Logmein Reporting Service

hamachi login
This has installed LSB 3.0 which is necessary for Hamachi to run, you have also installed the Hamachi client. The "hamachi login" command connects your HDA to the logmein reporting service. However, it is not attached to your account so we need to do that now.

8. Replace username@webaddress.com with your email address linked to your Hamachi account

hamachi attach username@webaddress.com
I suggest creating web-owned networks and attaching your online Hamachi HDA client to it through Logmein's web interface. Creating Client owned networks from your Hamachi HDA client is possible but you will need to do everything command line.

You can then add other computers to your network through normal Hamachi client addition (again through logmein's web site).

This will allow access to network resources (i.e. shares, Plex Media Server, and VNC just to name a few.) You can access the shares through the ip address assigned to your computer through Logmein (It should begin with 25.xxx.xxx.xxx)

ATTACHED are a list of the Hamachi Commands that can be run (including how to set a nick, create a network from the Hamachi HDA client, etc)

** Problems I have faced **
I have faced problems creating "gateway" networks with my Hamachi HDA client as the gateway. I don't think the DNS server on the HDA can handle it, but if someone gets that working please let me know. (Mesh networks work fine though)

Also, distance seems to be a problem as my computers in the US sometimes have a hard time connecting to my HDA but that might be because of Chinese Internet Issues because when I am on mainland from Beijing to Shenzhen I can access my HDA in Shanghai.

(This was my first post on here so any constructive feedback would be great. I am just trying to help other people out.)
Attachments
Hamachi Commands.rtf
List of Hamachi Commands (ran from "hamachi help"
(1.94 KiB) Downloaded 270 times

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Hamachi Logmein (ISP NAT Work Around)

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:34 pm

Nice documentation. Would you mind adding this guidance to our wiki? We would greatly appreciate it.

The forums are not the best place for tutorials. We like to keep them in the wiki. If you need an account, you can request one at https://wiki.amahi.org.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2