Setup third party VPN: can someone help me?

thomasps

Setup third party VPN: can someone help me?

Postby thomasps » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:05 pm

Hi,
I am testing with a commercial third party VPN and was wondering if someone could help me out.
I want my Amahi to connect to this VPN always. The Linux instructions from the provider as as follow:

===================================
Ubuntu Linux 10.10: OpenVPN Setup

1. In Terminal, install openvpn packages with sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn.
2. Restart the network manager with sudo restart network-manager
3. Run sudo wget https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/o ... penvpn.zip
4. Extract the files from the zip with unzip openvpn.zip.
5. Move ca.crt to /etc/openvpn
6. Open the Network Manager on the menu bar.
7. Choose add and select the OpenVPN connection type, and click Create.
8. Enter Private Internet Access SSL for the Connection Name.
9. Enter us-east.privateinternetaccess.com [*] for the Gateway
10. Select Password and enter your login credentials.
11. Browse and select the CA Certificat we saved in Step 3.
12. Choose Advanced and enable LZO Compression.
13. Apply and exit.
14. Connect using the Network Manager.
===================================

I did 1-5. I don't know what do do next... The goal is to route all of my network traffic to this commercial VPN (I cannot do that via my router).

Thanks

zenzan007

Re: Setup third party VPN: can someone help me?

Postby zenzan007 » Wed May 06, 2015 8:05 am

Hi Thomas,

I've just finished playing around with my VPN to achieve the same thing.
First things first. What we're trying to do is in some ways the reverse of what Amahi has implemented. You're trying to get your HDA to connect to a remote server. The Amahi setup is so that it behaves as the remote server and you'd connect to it using a laptop at work for example.

Next, the instructions you've go refer to using the network manager in the fedora/ubuntu GUI (Graphical User Interface), the desktop in other words. You're not going to be able to do this from http://hda.yourdomain.com.

Do you have the the GUI installed?
See this post:
https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/GUI_In ... Express_CD

This adds a desktop interface to your server, so you could plug a mouse keyboard and monitor in and use them. Very useful, but hard to get accurate descriptions on what to click where and when, that's why people prefer giving terminal commands.

~~ VPN Setup~~
There's a file called Ahami.conf in /etc/openvpn/ (I think) I edited this file to match that of the conf file my VPN providers script generated. If they have an example conf file, or you can finish the setup via network manager and then locate and copy the guts of their conf file into the amahi.conf file you're onto a winner. This will break your Amahi version of the VPN though. So no more VPN from the outside world in.

If it's not working, check the log files, the Amahi log files are in the /var/ folder.

To Auto Logon, you need to reference a login.conf in the amahi.conf file with your VPN username and password. It won't let you just type it into the amahi.conf file.

And finally, good luck. I'm sorry this isn't very detailed but I didn't take notes while I was messing about. I did get it working.

Now I want to get the server monitoring web page working and test it for stability and and self recovery.