HDAConnect - Am I missing something?

DragonQ

HDAConnect - Am I missing something?

Postby DragonQ » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:14 am

When I use HDAConnect, everything seems fine and it maps my HDA to 10.8.0.6. However, I can't do anything with that IP address. If I browse to it in any browser, it just says:

"This site is running TeamViewer.

Free Port 80 for other applications in advanced settings.
"

I already have "Don't use incoming ports 80 and 443 (recommended for web servers only)" ticked in TeamViewer on my HDA so I don't know why this message is coming up. TeamViewer's technicians don't know either (I've been in contact with them about this for a while). Maybe it's doing this because I'm not specifying a port? What port can I use to test? For example, can I access the Amahi setup/config web interface over HDAConnect?

Another thing is that if I go to Explorer and type "\\10.8.0.6", it works but lists no shared drives at all (just Scheduled Tasks and Printers and Faxes).

So basically, HDAConnect is useless to me right now lol.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: HDAConnect - Am I missing something?

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:03 am

It could be the fact that you have TeamViewer installed on the HDA. The HDAConnect was designed to work with OpenVPN, so any other third party software could potentially cause conflicts.

Also when using VPN, you typically access the Dashboard the same way you do while in your network. http://hda or might even need to do http://hda.home.com or whatever your domain happens to be.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

DragonQ

Postby DragonQ » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:05 am

Yes, I am running TeamViewer on my server. However, I didn't know that this would cause HDAConnect to not work? Accessing files over TeamViewer is a pain so HDAConnect should make that easier.

"http://hda/" doesn't work over HDAConnect for me. :(

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:13 am

You might consider removing TeamViewer. Also try using the FQDN as I mentioned previously to access the Dashboard. If they operate on the same ports, that could cause a conflict.

Recommend you also check the VPN troubleshooter in the wiki to see if it helps pinpoint the problem.

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/VPN_troubleshooting
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

DragonQ

Postby DragonQ » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:26 am

Ah! http://hda.home.com/ does indeed work!

I can also access MediaPortal Extended on my HTPC. So it looks like the only thing that isn't working is the shares not being viewable in Explorer (which is the main reason I want to use this really - transferring files should be much faster than using TeamViewer, plus I can stream stuff).

I am trying this from work so it could be a firewall issue. I might try changing the ports later if I have time.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:32 am

For shares, you might have to do \\hda.home.com to access them.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

DragonQ

Postby DragonQ » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:45 am

You are a genius! Kicking myself for not thinking of that but it works!

Doesn't seem to be using all of my upload speed though. I have 20 Mbps upload from my server (tested with SpeedTest.net) and 100 Mbps download at work but I can't stream a 10 Mbps video. Hmmmm.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:49 am

Well I am sure VPN does not operate as quick as one would like. Keep in mind it's a secure connection, so there will be loss in speed.

Not saying that is the issue, but could be a factor. Also need to look at firewalls, etc that might be in the way.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

DragonQ

Postby DragonQ » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:00 am

Hmm something strange. Using the SpeedTest.net Amahi app, it only shows 3 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload. On my desktop and laptop at home (same internet connection), they show the full 80 Mbps download and 20 Mbps upload that I pay for.

What could be restricting the speed on my Amahi box? It's connected to the same ethernet switch as my desktop. I don't think it could be Ethernet drivers because internal transfers at home between my server and desktop happen at ~60 MB/s (500 Mbps).

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:17 am

Could be a multitude of things. The speedtest Amahi app is not always very accurate. I would rather check from the HDA using speedtest.net web site.

You might need to google to see what could cause slow down with Linux. I get good transfer rates typically, but once outside the network it is slowed due to encryption and other factors with the source providing connection via VPN.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager