All IPSEC VPN traffic through VPN

aljachimiak

All IPSEC VPN traffic through VPN

Postby aljachimiak » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:24 am

On my lunch break I really like to cruise through my twitter account on my iPhone or iPad. However, my employer blocks twitter and I don't have any cell reception.

Amahi to the Rescue!

I had purchased the IPSEC VPN and configured my router and iPhone correctly. I still was havind twitter blocked and easy dns entries like "hda" didn't work. Also googleing "what is my ip" reported back that I was still on my employer's IP.

It turns out that the Amahi VPN is set to use a split VPN tunnel by default. Here are the steps I used to direct all traffic through the VPN:
1 - Open a terminal on your hda or ssh in.
2 - go to /etc/racoon (that is spelled correctly BTW)

Code: Select all

cd /etc/racoon
3 - open racoon.conf with your favorite editor, mine happens to be nano (this needs to be done as route)

sudo nano racoon.conf
4 - down arrow to the mode_cfg

mode_cfg { auth_source system; save_passwd on; network4 10.8.1.1; netmask4 255.255.255.0; pool_size 10; dns4 192.168.1.10; wins4 192.168.1.10; default_domain "Jamahi3.com"; auth_throttle 60; split_network include 198.162.1.0/24 10.100.100.0/24; split_dns "home.com"; banner "/etc/racoon/welcome.txt"; }
note: I'm going to concentrate on the two lines that I changed: "split_network" and "split_dns".
5 - change split_network from "include" to "local_lan" and delete the 198.162.... range.

mode_cfg { ~~ split_network local_lan 10.100.100.0/24;
6 - I also changed split_dns to the name that I changed my home domain to...

mode_cfg { ~~ split_dns "Jamahi3.com";
7 - save your work
8 - open up your hda, click on settings>servers and restart the IPSEC server.

Then I was able to use twitter over my employer's wifi and the answer to googling "what is my ip" gets me the IP from my home.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: All IPSEC VPN traffic through VPN

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:02 am

Awesome guidance. Would be possible for you to add this to the wiki? We prefer tutorials be put in the wiki as they are easier to find and more sustainable when changes are needed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

zombu2

Postby zombu2 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:36 am

That is all nice and great and it is a really good info to have

but

When you change it to your settings all traffic indeed gets routed through your internet but the amahi box itself is not reachable anymore by the clients connected to the vpn

so if anyone has an idea hot to make that work that would help many out since they access their box from the outside

ajachimiak

Postby ajachimiak » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:07 pm

When you change it to your settings all traffic indeed gets routed through your internet but the amahi box itself is not reachable anymore by the clients connected to the vpn
Good Point! I updated the wiki to note this point.