Transfer stops on large files

ipdemons

Transfer stops on large files

Postby ipdemons » Fri May 08, 2009 11:49 am

I seem to be having an issue lately with large files. When I try to transfer files larger than 20mb, the transfer gives me an error saying "cannot copy XXXXXXXX: the specified network name is no longer available". Then I have to disconnect and reconnect HDAconnect to get access again. I still get a green light on my connection icon, but it won't let me access any files until I reconnect. Does anyone know why I might lose my transfer based on filesize? I'm in windows xp sp3 running HDAconnect.

ipdemons

Re: Transfer stops on large files

Postby ipdemons » Fri May 08, 2009 2:37 pm

I'm starting to think that the issue is less about file size and more about time connected. It seems that my vpn connection times out or something after about 5 minutes. I connect to it, I can navigate, download files, with no issues. I wait about 5 minutes, and try again, and the network share is no longer available. I still get a green light on my connection and the network connection remains on, but I cannot access shares. I don't think it's a connectivity issue because that network is not experiencing any connectivity problems. I think that it appeared to be a problem transferring large files because it didn't hit that timeout point until partially through the file. Any thoughts?

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Fri May 08, 2009 4:54 pm

are there mutliple users logging in?
the vpn is only for one user as is.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

ipdemons

Postby ipdemons » Sat May 09, 2009 5:44 am

Just one user is connected. The problem persists

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sat May 09, 2009 9:12 am

i wonder if the renewal of the DHCP lease is messing things around.

what does /var/log/messages have to say?
(both for vpn disconnections and/or samba disconnections)

did you try the pinging in parallel?

did the connection get interrupted when the transfer failed?

on second thought, the DHCP lease renewal should not be part of the picture, really, since the vpn does not really use the dhcp server. but ...

sorry, more questions than answers ... :?:
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1