Android

TMDolphin

Android

Postby TMDolphin » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:06 am

Hi There,
i've problems setting up OpenVPN on my LG-Android phone. I have a custom kernel (Modaco --> not CyanogenMod) and tried some how-tos, but didn't get it up till now. As my Laptop works well with hda-connect, i guess its set up correctly on server side.
Is there someone out there having experiences with setting up the hole stuff? i checked the wiki, but somehow it didn't worked. And a big problem for me is,... there is no log where i can find errors to work on :(

thanks a lot, would be awesome to have it up

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Android

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:54 am

I have heard there are a lot of problems getting this working with Android based devices. Have you tried http://www.amahi.org/apps/ipsec-vpn. It might be a better solution.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

TMDolphin

Postby TMDolphin » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:29 am

To be honest...no I did not but I will check.. ;) can they work parallel? Thank you

[ Post made via Android ] Image

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:23 am

I do not know as I don't use either one. I have an Android device, but do no want to root it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

TMDolphin

Postby TMDolphin » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:58 am

Ah i meant on server side. I don't want to set up everything again on my laptop as it works great with openVPN and amahi-connect.
maybe you have experience with vpn in general as i don't have.. :) ?

dforbes

Postby dforbes » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:55 am

Good news: OpenVPN and IPsec-VPN will happily coexist on your Amahi box.
Bad news: I'm not aware of anyone getting IPsec-VPN to work from an Android device either, without some major surgery to the Android device. (And from googling the issue, this is not Amahi-related - many Android users struggle to get VPNs working.)

For clarity (and I appreciate this doesn't help your situation), iOS devices will work with the IPsec-VPN out of the box, without jailbreaking.

DF

nickschurch

Postby nickschurch » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:30 am

I am amazed this doesn't just work out of the box. Android comes with VPN support, but that doesn't work with the standard amahi vpn server? is that correct?

I don't have root on my phone, and have no idea how to get it, so openvpn is useless to me. Are there any settings for the standard VPN support in android that will work, or any app that will work without root?

dforbes

Postby dforbes » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:23 pm

To be sure, there are several different VPN technology available and they are not in any way interoperable. Most modern operating systems support some types of VPN out of the box, but not all and Android is no different in this respect. When we say "support" in this context we mean "has a nice, easy user interface to"; I'm not aware of any fundamental limitation that prevents any OS using any particular VPN technology - it's just that some require an additional piece of software to use.

Unfortunately, I don't have an Android device so I can't comment on what types of VPN a consumer Android device supports out-of-the-box. However, just browsing Google results suggests that it is unlikely to support OpenVPN (which is the tech that the basic Amahi VPN is based on) by default. This is a shame as OpenVPN is a relatively easy technology to get along with and debug. It may change in later releases of Android - who knows?

DF

TMDolphin

Postby TMDolphin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:23 pm

hey guys, thanks a lot for your replys. i want to make it short. after reading, that ipsec will be challeging on android as well, i tried again with openvpn. and i finally made it so far. i didn't got the hda open, but i will work on this :)
there were problems with the tun.ko and the config file i had.
logcat helped a lot, after i discovered that it exists :D

greetz TMD