VPN access for Android devices (HTC specifically)

dafcok

VPN access for Android devices (HTC specifically)

Postby dafcok » Mon May 24, 2010 12:43 pm

Hello dear amahi friends!

I would like to know which details are underlying the preconfigured vpn access to the amahi server. Then in turn I would like to configure VPN access for my new smartphone. In it's options I have a whole lot of possiblities and it's over my head to figure this out. :oops:
Look at this explanation to understand: http://www.blogmobilephones.com/how-to- ... esire.html :idea:

Thx for professional help, this sure will be helpful for lots of people!

cale250

Re: VPN access for Android devices (HTC specifically)

Postby cale250 » Mon May 24, 2010 4:18 pm

Hi dafcok!

That page refers to L2TP-type VPNs. Amahi uses OpenVPN. I did remember seeing somewhere there is an OpenVPN app for Android on the Market (called Tunneldroid, I think). You may want to check that out. You can also look at this wiki page; the Linux setup subsection may also give you some of the configuration details you need.

Hope that helps!

say592

Postby say592 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:43 pm

I just configured my phone (Motorola Droid) to be compatible with the Amahi VPN. It wasnt terribly hard, but the method I used requires root access. If you dont already have root, this might be a good reason to get it. If you dont want to root, then this may or may not be helpful.

(For whatever its worth, I am using a rooted MotoDroid with Bugless Beast 1.1, which uses the Android 2.1 base)

As cale250 points out, there was an app called Tunneldroid. However, TunnelDroid has since merged with another group of apps, OpenVPN Settings and OpenVPN Installer. Both can be found in the market. I started by installing TunnelDroid, but I believe that wasnt needed. TunnelDroid directed me to install OpenVPN Settings, which then prompted me to install OpenVPN Installer. Throughout the entire process you need to allow the applications root access as they request it. I would recommend using whatever "Remember this" or "Always allow" setting you may have.

Once you have OpenVPN Installer installed and have run it to install OpenVPN, then switch back over to OpenVPN Settings. At this point you will not be able to do anything, as you havent copied your configuration files. If you already have VPN set on a computer, simply copy those to your SD Card in a folder named "openvpn". If you dont have a VPN setup, go to the Linux VPN Wiki Page and download the three files there. You will also need to create the myvpn.conf at the beginning of the wiki page. Once you have those files, you can copy them over to the "openvpn" folder on your SD card (if it doesnt exist, create it).

From there you should be able to go to the OpenVPN Settings app and connect to your Amahi VPN!

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message or reply here. I will try to see if I can do it without root, but it may take a while for me to get around to it.

Rogerrally

Postby Rogerrally » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:07 pm

I have just got my G1/Dream to connect to my HDA via the VPN.

It is a rooted G1 with the Cyanogen mod.

It was fairly easy to do, once i had worked out how to put the certificates into a .p12 file for importing into my phone.

I have a ready made .p12 file if you want?

I wrote my way up, and its on the wiki under VPNAndroid.

Hopefully this helps?

stueyboy

Postby stueyboy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:42 am

Thanks for the guide to set up the openvpn on Android. I have an HTC desire and i can use openvpn to connect but after that I can't browse the hda or access any other places I ought to. Has anyone worked this out or does it sound like a unique problem?

rbmattis

Postby rbmattis » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:45 pm

It was fairly easy to do, once i had worked out how to put the certificates into a .p12 file for importing into my phone.

Hopefully this helps?
Hi I did the following:

Download the files here and save them in your /home/username/openvpn folder (where username is your main users name)(to download, right click > save as):
AmahiHDAClient.crt
AmahiHDAClient.key
ca-cert.crt
Then, from the terminal run

cd /home/username/openvpn
openssl pkcs12 -export -in AmahiHDAClient.crt -inkey AmahiHDAClient.key -certfile ca-cert.crt -name Amahi -out certs.p12

it never asked me for any export password, it just went straight back to the command line. Do you need to be root to run openssl?

thanks.

wendigo

Postby wendigo » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:54 am

Hi guys,
I have Desire with CyanogenMod 7.1 and created the certs.p12 file by the steps in Wiki, but my phone just doesn't see the file.
I copied the p12 file to sd card root but when I tap "Install from SD card" I just keep getting message "No certificate to install."
Same issue was with CM 7.0.3.

Any idea where's the problem?
HDA: HP Microserver

waryamsoomro

Postby waryamsoomro » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:03 am

Hopefully this helps?
Hi I did the following:

Download the files here and save them in your /home/username/openvpn folder (where username is your main users name)(to download, right click > save as):
AmahiHDAClient.crt
AmahiHDAClient.key
ca-cert.crt
Then, from the terminal run

cd /home/username/openvpn
openssl pkcs12 -export -in AmahiHDAClient.crt -inkey AmahiHDAClient.key -certfile ca-cert.crt -name Amahi -out certs.p12

it never asked me for any export password, it just went straight back to the command line. Do you need to be root to run openssl?

thanks.
Thanks.
This Method Worked For Me.

shaunstevin

Postby shaunstevin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:23 am

HI,
I have Desire along with other CyanogenMod 7.1 and created the certs.p12 file by the steps in Wiki, but my phone just doesn't see the file.
I copied the p12 file to sd card root but if I tap "Install in one SD card" I just keep Acquiring message "No certificate to install."
Same issue was along with other CM 7.0.3.

kriskumar

Postby kriskumar » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:30 pm

I have an Incredible 2 by HTC. I have multiple choices for adding VPN:

PPTP VPN
L2TP VPN
L2TP/IPSec PSK VPN
L2TP/IPSec CRT VPN

Will any of these work? Or must I use only OpenVPN?

Thanks.