CLOSED: phpMyAdmin access to installed apps databases

teleski

CLOSED: phpMyAdmin access to installed apps databases

Postby teleski » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:26 am

I have installed several WebApps and yet don't see their databases with phpMyAdmin. Is this to be expected? Also I would like to know why I cannot change the phpMyAdmin root password. For me this is a serious security issue!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: phpMyAdmin access to installed apps databases

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:40 pm

Did you log in with the credentials I provided in a previous post?

The phpmyadmin user has limited privileges which is why you don’t see all databases. You can create/remove any users, but it’s best only done by those with experience.

You can change the root password, but it could have cascading effects. Your choice.

Not sure why you think this is a serious security issue. It’s only a problem if you expose your HDA to the internet. With that brings a whole bunch of potential security problems in itself.

This is designed to be a home server, so for most it’s not a problem. It’s your server, so you can do what you want to customize.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

teleski

Postby teleski » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:53 pm

Yes I am logging with the default credentials and it is a home install so it is not exposed to the internet.

If it does not see other databases, I don't see the point of using it. I have used phpMyAdmin in the past on my home desktop for accessing databases of my internal applications when I have run into issues that I could not solve with other means.

I was hoping to access the piwigo database as I have run into an issue with doing a symbolic link to my photos. I have posted the issue on the piwigo forums (https://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30186), but so far no response.

teleski

Postby teleski » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:56 am

Ok I have figured it out. I found the root access to the databases. I had to do a search as it was not available by browsing the Wiki menus. So I was successful in removing the "ghost" galleries.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:58 am

Glad you sorted it out.

Marking thread as closed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2