Moving Mediawiki App

galoisienne2

Moving Mediawiki App

Postby galoisienne2 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:19 am

I was wondering how easy it is to move the Mediawiki (MW) app. It was installed using the Amahi app store and resides on /var/hda/web-apps/mediawiki which is a mount point of my main drive on the partition /dev/sda6

This partition has some room available on it and the MW grows only gradually, but I'd like to transition to keeping most or all apps off of my main drive where the OS is installed and runs.

Most of my shares have already been moved to a secondary drive and will be doing same with apps.

Particularly, regarding the MW, would moving or copying that app over an easy process. Is it just simply a process of copying the above directory to a different drive ? How would I then access this newly moved version via browser ?

Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Moving Mediawiki App

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:35 am

I would recommend you make your adjustment to the directories that grow with content. The only one I know of is images. All the actual content is in the MySQL database. You can put that elsewhere and update it's location in the /etc/hda/web-apps/mediawiki/html/LocalSettings.php file.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:LocalSettings.php

The only safe way to keep the apps off your main OS drive would be to create a mount point on another drive for /var/hda/web-apps. This is something that should be done on install as it can break your HDA if done afterwards. There are a few that I have heard mounted /var/hda on a separate drive. Just understand if that drive dies, you lose all that content. Backups would be needed as with the OS drive.

Most web-apps don't take up that much space. For those that have large data pools, we often put them in the shares. However there aren't that many that fit this mold.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

galoisienne2

Postby galoisienne2 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:48 am

Ok. That makes sense and food for thought: I'll have to do some reading on setting up a rationale backup process. I have none at present.

Thanks

p.s. Should I think of greyhole as more related to creating useable disk space as opposed to enabling backup ? (I remember in the GH wiki seeing something about "creation of multiple copies of files")

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:10 am

As for Greyhole, it does offer capability like a backup sort of since you can have multiple copies of a file. Only problem is what the file changes, all copies are updated.

I think of it as a backup in the case my shares drive dies. I still have Greyhole copies of files. But that really is the extent in my opinion.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2