Transmission and Locally Mounted Shares

Bureaucromancer

Transmission and Locally Mounted Shares

Postby Bureaucromancer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:08 am

Ok, so this might be a complicated one, but is there any simple solution to this?

I'm trying to revise my torrent setup so that completed downloads get moved into a share that is on the Greyhole pool. I set the completed torrents folder to a folder in /mnt/samba/*share* and the setting seem to have taken, but now I have a series of problems. When I start moving things to seed to the share (again, I'm doing everything through the local mount), Transmission isn't able to see the file and complains about missing data even after I've properly set it's path to the file. I can move things around all I like within the torrents share the transmission install created and it's happy as soon as I point it to the files, but it doesn't touch the share.

Second, the first torrent that completed with the new setting for where it should put completed files just disappeared completely. As in Transmission suddenly started saying data missing, the data disappeared from incomplete torrents and never reappeared in the share it was supposed to go to. I'm guessing that it tried to copy the files, couldn't and somehow trashed them in the process *sigh*.

Anyway, to me this is screaming permissions problem with the transmission daemon somehow, but I really have no idea how to proceed. Suggestions?

It seems that as things stand the only place files can be to be accessed by Transmission is in the torrents share, which also can't be part of the storage pool...

PS: To be specific about the ideal solution as far as I'm concerned, I really would just like instructions as to how to let the transmission-daemon server process (whatever the actual mechanic is...) access shares. If it makes any difference I'm still running Ubuntu, since figuring out my torrents was actually the first step to figuring out how to upgrade to Fedora.

I did try making the shares I need accessed by Transmission writable and accessible to all users through the shares interface, but that didn't do anything so I'm really at a loss here.

PPS: The good news is there was no file loss in my experimentation... I set the complete torrent folder back to where it was originally and the files appeared. I just need to find a way to get the thing to seed files sitting on other shares.

Bureaucromancer

Re: Transmission and Locally Mounted Shares

Postby Bureaucromancer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:59 pm

I actually managed to fix this, although I'm pretty damn vague on what I did by the end of it. It seems that transmission was running under username debian-transmission and the trick was to add that to the users group (something I eventually found in old Amahi documentation actually).

Ugh.

Since this is here now, does anyone have a good primer on how Linux permission actually work that would be intelligible to someone who mostly uses Windows and isn't a networking guru?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Transmission and Locally Mounted Shares

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:54 am

ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2