SOLVED: Logitech Media Server & Greyhole Shares

techlife

SOLVED: Logitech Media Server & Greyhole Shares

Postby techlife » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:43 pm

I have my shares mounted locally. I can browse to my music share located at /mnt/samba/Music/ from the command line or from the desktop. When I try to set that folder as the location for my music in the app, none of my greyhole shares appear. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Logitech Media Server & Greyhole Shares

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:49 pm

Some apps, especially media streaming apps do not play well with Greyhole.

Typically when you use mount shares locally, you point the app at the /mnt/smb/sharename as outlined in the wiki.

If you have tried this and it still does not work, then I would speculate that this app will not play well with Greyhole.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

techlife

Postby techlife » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:33 pm

Thank you for the reply. I knew those shares could be problematic. I was hoping for the best though. Some of the shares do show, just not the one I need. FWIW, when I do a ls -l, the directories that show are owned by "root" whereas the directories that don't are owned by "mymainusername". I tried a chown to root and even though it said it changed the owner, it doesn't show as having changed the owner when I ls -l again. I don't want to beat a dead horse here I just wasn't sure if this information changes anything...

Thanks again.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:33 am

No problem. Maybe there is a solution out there somewhere.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

techlife

Postby techlife » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:55 am

OK, a little more research: In the LMS config, if I browse to the /home folder, there are no usernames here at all. So even if I had music in /home/user/Music, I wouldn't be able to access it. I don't think it has anything to do with permissions of the samba shares. At least not at this point. Can services be run as different users? Could it be this one is being run as one that does not have permission to view those folders? I think I'm barking up the right tree but at this point I'm over my head and don't know where to look next.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:04 am

Not sure if that matters. Seems like it's worked fine in the past for users, so hard to say if it's Greyhole or permissions.

Can you try a share that is not managed by Greyhole? What we have seen with some apps is they don't play well with symbloc links. Since that is what Greyhole does to files, it often causes issues.

Can you post the config file? If it's more than 10 lines, maybe attaching it would be better. I can then take a look.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

techlife

Postby techlife » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:22 am

Got it. I was trying to access the folders through /mnt/samba/music and it couldn't find anything in the samba folder. Perhaps because those are all links as you mentioned above? So then I looked where I should have to begin with: /var/hda/files/music and away we go. Thanks for the responses!

bellamatt

Re: SOLVED: Logitech Media Server & Greyhole Shares

Postby bellamatt » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:11 pm

Bit late, but I had this issue ages ago and discovered that if you want to access music in mounted shares (according to the documentation this is safer than accessing the direct file location for greyhole shares) you need to add squeezeboxserver to your users group. It's a permissions issue - the LMS is run as a service by a specific user and the default permissions on the local share mounts don't let them in.

as su:
usermod -a -G users squeezeboxserver

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:22 pm

Please add this to the wiki if you haven't already. It's another one of those odd ones.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

bellamatt

Postby bellamatt » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:56 pm

done. Need to get into the habit if I find something!