Webmin module defaults for DHCP server are incorrect

taa

Webmin module defaults for DHCP server are incorrect

Postby taa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:31 pm

Webmin 1.630 installed on my Amahi 6.3 (Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS) HDA

I started using Webmin->Servers->DHCP Server a couple of days ago and discovered that it had the old "dhcp3" server settings instead of the new ISC DHCPd version 4.1 server.

I found this link with the settings I put in:

Code: Select all

DHCP server config file /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf DHCP server executable /usr/sbin/dhcpd Command to start DHCP server /etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server start Command to apply configuration /etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server restart Command to stop DHCP server /etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server stop Path to DHCP server PID file /var/run/dhcp-server/dhcpd.pid DHCP server lease file /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases
I'm wondering if these could be made part of the Webmin app package in case other users install it?

I couldn't determine if the above settings are stored in a simple text file, but if they are and someone can provide me the path on my HDA, I can upload the file somewhere so the settings don't have to be retyped.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Webmin module defaults for DHCP server are incorrect

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:24 am

If you are an advanced user, Webmin can be a powerful tool. If you are not, I recommend extreme caution as using it to modify settings on the HDA can have disastrous results. I have seen to many new users toast their HDA and have to reinstall.

I think it would be best if the feature you mention be documented in the wiki vs the app. No reason to duplicate capability that is already part of Amahi. Plus that would be another configuration that would have to be updated as Webmin evolves which is not desirable.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

taa

Postby taa » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:55 am

Don't worry, I'm being careful. Or at least, I think I am! :D

I started using Webmin because I didn't see another place on the HDA UI that would let me control the DHCP settings I needed, particularly since I wanted to test amahi-netboot under Ubuntu and make sure the settings are correct. I'm trying to limit myself to the web-based UI for making system changes.

If I want to use a web-based UI for the DHCP settings, is there some other app I need to install?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:01 pm

What do you need to do to DHCP? Amahi provides most of what you should need. Amahi provides for setting reserved IPs by MAC address and the length of the DHCP lease. It also reflects what current DHCP leases are/have been used recently.

I do have to say the Ubuntu version of the DHCP lease list works kinda of strange. It takes a while before expired leases disappear. That is an oddity of Ubuntu it seems based on past research.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

taa

Postby taa » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:33 am

I was mostly needing to modify DHCP server settings related to amahi-netboot (e.g., I had to add logic to push a different filename for a PC with a broken BIOS). I "get" now why you're saying webmin should only be used for advanced tweaks to HDA.

I'll make wiki changes for wedmin defaults.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:47 am

They should not be any DHCP settings needing changed for netboot. It is supposed to work as packaged, minus additional apps.

Can you explain what needs changed?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

taa

Postby taa » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:10 am

Doh! I knew I should have made copies of all the config files before I started playing, and I'm usually so religious about doing so, but I was excited to start using amahi-netboot. It's really slick and I expect it'll be my Plan B if my trusty Plan A isostick runs into broken BIOSs. Plan C is... Plan C-4. :D

I want to properly document this so are there any known gotchas if I simply uninstall amahi-netboot, then re-install?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:27 pm

Uninstall and reinstall should do it. I have not tested it myself, so not for sure. What DHCP settings need changed? I am curious as the app is supposed to work without any additional configuration changes to DHCP.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager