Transmission App + Front end? (encryption & port forwarding)

highlan

Transmission App + Front end? (encryption & port forwarding)

Postby highlan » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:16 am

Hey all. So I installed the Transmission app from the app store, but I would like to make some changes to the settings. Specifically, enable prefer encrypted peers and ignore unencrypted peers. I've found how to do this with the Transmission front end, but not how to enable it in the settings.json.

So, can I install transmission from the Ubuntu software store and will it tie into the Transmission app that has already been installed, or will it screw everything up?

And/or, can someone point me in the right direction to enable the two settings in the settings.json?

I found this explanation here:

https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/EditConfigFiles

encryption: Number (0 = Prefer unencrypted connections, 1 = Prefer encrypted connections, 2 = Require encrypted connections; default = 1) ​Encryption preference. Encryption may help get around some ISP filtering, but at the cost of slightly higher CPU use.

So changing the setting to 2 would enable prefer encrypted peers, but I still don't know how to ignore unencrypted peers.

Lastly, do I need to setup port forwarding on my router for the port Transmission works on (like I did for uTorrent) and if so, what protocol is utilized and how do I find out which port Transmission is working on?

Thanks all!

sgtfoo

Re: Transmission App + Front end? (encryption & port forward

Postby sgtfoo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:15 am

You need to shut off the transmission server/process while you change the settings.json, otherwise changes will not stick.
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch

highlan

Postby highlan » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:42 pm

You need to shut off the transmission server/process while you change the settings.json, otherwise changes will not stick.
I understand, thanks for the information.

However my question was regarding can I install Transmission from ubuntu software on top of the transmission app from amahi without screwing it up and how do I enable "prefer encrypted peers" and "ignore unencrypted peers"

And do I need to setup a port forward for Transmission.

I understand how to change the settings.json, I just don't fully understand what the settings mean and is it best to modify settings.json or install the frontend on top of the transmission I installed from the Amahi app store.

Thanks for the reply though.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:05 pm

I would say it depends on what that would install. Currently, the Amahi app installs the Ubuntu transmission-daemon package. The app for Ubuntu may or may not use that package.

If you want to install that version from the Ubuntu app store, I would recommend uninstalling the Amahi app first. It is possible they may not play together. One may overwrite the settings of the other. Not sure, but both may use the same settings files.

It's up to you as you can try them together and then if things don't work, uninstall one of them. Is there a reason for installing the Ubuntu version? If the Amahi app does what is needed, then why mess with it?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

highlan

Postby highlan » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:26 pm

I want to enable "prefer encrypted peers" and "ignore unencrypted peers" and I've found instructions on how to do this with the frontend that is installed with the Ubuntu version of Transmission.

The Amahi version doesn't install a frontend, and all I can find is how to modify the settings.json, which is fine but I don't fully understand the setting:

encryption: Number (0 = Prefer unencrypted connections, 1 = Prefer encrypted connections, 2 = Require encrypted connections; default = 1)

Does this cover just "prefer encrypted peers" and NOT "ignore unencrypted peers" or does it cover both?

I basically want to encrypt all traffic to and from Transmission.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:48 pm

Sorry but I can't be of much help. If you need that functionality, might be best to install the Ubuntu version then. Might be a good idea to uninstall the Amahi version first though.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2